Roman Polanski Breaks Silence, Says U.S. Wants to 'Serve Me on a Platter'
By PopEater Staff Posted May 3rd 2010 07:37AM
In comments to an online magazine run by one of his supporters, Polanski said: "I can no longer remain silent because the United States continues to demand my extradition more to serve me on a platter to the media of the world than to pronounce a judgment concerning which an agreement was reached 33 years ago."
Polanski laid out his case while being holed up in his Alpine Swiss chalet.
"I have had my share of dramas and joys, as we all have, and I am not going to try to ask you to pity my lot in life," he wrote. "I ask only to be treated fairly like anyone else."
Polanski suggests the case against him is unjust and riddled with problems. Each argument begins with the phrase: "I can remain silent no longer."
One of Polanski's complaints concerns Los Angeles County District Attorney Steve Cooley, "who is handling this case and has requested (the) extradition, is himself campaigning for election and needs media publicity!" Cooley is running for California attorney general.
The district attorney's spokeswoman Sandi Gibbons said the office "will withhold comment until the Swiss make a decision on his fugitive status."
Polanski fled the United States in 1978 on the eve of sentencing; he had pleaded guilty to one count of unlawful sexual contact with a minor. Her attorney argued she had the right to ask that the case be dismissed and urged the court to do so.
Polanski was accused of plying the teen with champagne and part of a Quaalude pill, then raping her during a modeling shoot at Jack Nicholson's house in 1977.
Polanski was initially indicted on six felony counts, including rape by use of drugs, child molesting and sodomy. He later pleaded guilty to one count of unlawful sexual intercourse in a plea bargain.
- Jennifer Aniston
- Paris Hilton
Kate Middleton is officially a princess. She walked the aisle in an Alexander...
According to Denise, she's not sure that her estranged ex is completely sober....
Popeater Hot Topics
- 'Today' show sign-language joke offends deaf community
- ?Scarface' star Steven Bauer looks back at iconic film 30 years later
- Rachael Ray's aunt dies after getting stuck outside in freezing temperatures
- TV Ratings: Victoria's Secret Fashion Show Outshines 'The Voice,' 'SHIELD' Drops
- Showtime Renews 'Episodes' for Season 4
- Hollywood's Most Powerful Women Pose With Their Mentors (Exclusive Photos)
- This week's cover: Tina Fey and Amy Poehler take over EW!
- ?Time' announces Person of the Year: Pope Francis
- This week's ?SNL' promos: Welcome home, John Goodman ? VIDEO
- 'Bad Boys 3' Is Happening, But Will Its Stars Return?
- Jason Schwartzman on 'Saving Mr. Banks,' Emma Thompson's 'Heartbreaking' Prank, and Celebrity Anxiety
- SAG Awards 2014 Nominations: '12 Years a Slave' Takes the Lead