Roman Polanski Breaks Silence, Says U.S. Wants to 'Serve Me on a Platter'
By PopEater Staff Posted May 3rd 2010 07:37AM
In comments to an online magazine run by one of his supporters, Polanski said: "I can no longer remain silent because the United States continues to demand my extradition more to serve me on a platter to the media of the world than to pronounce a judgment concerning which an agreement was reached 33 years ago."
Polanski laid out his case while being holed up in his Alpine Swiss chalet.
"I have had my share of dramas and joys, as we all have, and I am not going to try to ask you to pity my lot in life," he wrote. "I ask only to be treated fairly like anyone else."
Polanski suggests the case against him is unjust and riddled with problems. Each argument begins with the phrase: "I can remain silent no longer."
One of Polanski's complaints concerns Los Angeles County District Attorney Steve Cooley, "who is handling this case and has requested (the) extradition, is himself campaigning for election and needs media publicity!" Cooley is running for California attorney general.
The district attorney's spokeswoman Sandi Gibbons said the office "will withhold comment until the Swiss make a decision on his fugitive status."
Polanski fled the United States in 1978 on the eve of sentencing; he had pleaded guilty to one count of unlawful sexual contact with a minor. Her attorney argued she had the right to ask that the case be dismissed and urged the court to do so.
Polanski was accused of plying the teen with champagne and part of a Quaalude pill, then raping her during a modeling shoot at Jack Nicholson's house in 1977.
Polanski was initially indicted on six felony counts, including rape by use of drugs, child molesting and sodomy. He later pleaded guilty to one count of unlawful sexual intercourse in a plea bargain.
- Jennifer Aniston
- Paris Hilton
Kate Middleton is officially a princess. She walked the aisle in an Alexander...
According to Denise, she's not sure that her estranged ex is completely sober....
Popeater Hot Topics
- Records: Jane Fonda's charity foundation hasn't made donation in 5 years
- Maxim names annual Hometown Hottie: And the winner is...
- What do Adam Levine and Wilmer Valderrama have in common? ObamaCare
- 'Scandal' Case Study: Kerry Washington on the Midseason Finale Shocker and What's Next
- 'The Sing-Off' Recap: A Party Playlist and Proposal Rock Week 1 (Video)
- 'Grey's Anatomy's' Jesse Williams Talks Jackson's Bold Move and Lessons From Mark Sloan
- ?Scandal' behind the scenes: Three men and an Emmy ? VIDEO
- Hate Joffrey? Here's your chance to roast the ?Game of Thrones' king
- Throwback Thursday: What's your favorite mid-season finale of all time? ? VIDEO
- Don Cheadle Suiting Up for 'Avengers: Age of Ultron'?
- Evangeline Lilly on 'The Hobbit': I Didn't Want to Be the Jar Jar Binks of the Trilogy
- Tina Fey & Amy Poehler Cast as 'Naggy Mothers of Darth Vader' (Sort Of)