Corey Haim Died of Natural Causes, Not From Drugs
By PopEater / Wire Services Posted May 4th 2010 05:39PM
Haim, 38, died of natural causes from "community-acquired pneumonia" along with lung, heart and blood vessel problems, according to an autopsy report.
Low levels of eight drugs, including both prescription and over-the-counter medications, were found in his system along with marijuana, coroner's spokesman Craig Harvey said.
"But nothing was at a level that would have contributed to his death," Harvey said.
They included common cold and flu medications, such as ibuprofen and a cough-suppressant, he said.
Haim, who had struggled with drug problems throughout his life, died March 10 after collapsing in his mother's apartment. Haim was ill with flulike symptoms before his death, and police said he was taking over-the-counter and prescription medications.
"The pneumonia is what killed him," Harvey said.
Mark Heaslip, the actor's agent, did not return a phone message seeking comment Tuesday.
California Attorney General Jerry Brown said in April that Haim employed "doctor shopping" to obtain 553 prescription pills in the two months before his death. Brown called Haim - the star of 1980s films such as "The Lost Boys" and "License to Drive" - a poster child for prescription drug abuse. He said Haim obtained powerful sedatives such as Valium and Xanax and painkillers such as Vicodin and Oxycontin.
However, no Oxycontin was found in his body, Harvey said. He noted that Haim's heart was abnormally large and factored in his death.
"His heart was 530 grams. The average normal heart weighs 300 grams," Harvey said.
Haim also had damaged lungs and arteriosclerosis of his coronary arteries, with some vessels 50-percent and even 75-percent blocked.
Harvey said it was unclear how long Haim had suffered from the medical problems or the pneumonia or whether earlier treatment might have saved him.
A message left with Brown's office was not immediately returned Tuesday.
Recently Departed Celebrities
Lynn Redgrave, May 2: The third member of the Redgrave acting dynasty to die in a year, Lynn passed away at her Manhattan apartment at age 67 of as-yet unannounced causes. The 'Georgy Girl' star's niece, Natasha Richardson, died a year ago and her older brother Corin, succumbed to illness a month ago.
Teresa Barbieri, Getty Images
Teresa Barbieri, Getty Images
2010 AOL LLC. All Rights Reserved. Copyright 2010 The Associated Press. The information contained in the AP news report may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or otherwise distributed without the prior written authority of The Associated Press. Active hyperlinks have been inserted by AOL.
- Jennifer Aniston
- Paris Hilton
Kate Middleton is officially a princess. She walked the aisle in an Alexander...
According to Denise, she's not sure that her estranged ex is completely sober....
Popeater Hot Topics
- Break Time: Courtney Stodden follows Farrah Abraham, films breast englarment
- Which celebrity is the worst role model for kids?
- Celebrity scale: Better skinny or curvy?
- 'New Girl's' Max Greenfield Joins 'Veronica Mars' Movie (Video)
- 'Fifty Shades of Grey' Movie Secures Director
- 'Crystal Fairy and the Magical Cactus' Trailer: Michael Cera Gets High (Video)
- Did Kim and Kanye name their baby Kaidence?
- Is Brad Pitt taking promotional lessons from Justin Timberlake?
- ?Anchorman 2? trailer: It's kind of a big deal. Let's do a deep dive!
- Brandi Glanville Claims She Hooked Up With Gerard Butler
- Charlie Sheen Talks Ladies – Onscreen & Off
- Jonah Hill ‘Overwhelmed’ By ‘Moneyball’ Supporting Actor Nomination
- 'The Spectacular Now' Trailer: Shailene Woodley Finds Love in Critically Praised Indie
- 'Star Wars: Episode 7' Character Casting: What's J.J. Abrams Looking For?
- 'The Amazing Spider-Man 2' Won't Feature Shailene Woodley as Mary Jane