Chaz Bono Granted Name and Gender Change
By PopEater Staff Posted May 6th 2010 02:51PM
Bono was represented in court by attorney Kristina Wertz of the Transgender Law Center, who said her client "couldn't be happier."
"This is an important step in his transition and will allow him to change a variety of his identity documents to show who he truly is," Wertz said in a statement following the court visit.
The 41-year-old writer-activist, born Chastity Sun Bono to Sonny and Cher, told PEOPLE back in December that the gender-change process had been exhilarating.
"It's hard for me to articulate how this feels -- when you've lived your whole life in a body and having everybody relate to you as something you don't feel," Bono said. "When that finally gets righted, it's just amazing. I finally get to live my life the way I've always wanted to."
Bono has a long-time girlfriend, Jennifer Elia, and even appeared on 'Celebrity Fit Club' in 2006.
Chaz Bono Shots
Chaz Bono is taped by documentary film makers as he arrives to the Santa Monica Courthouse to formally ask a judge to change his name and gender following his 2009 sex change. More Photos >>
Getty Images North America
- Jennifer Aniston
- Paris Hilton
Kate Middleton is officially a princess. She walked the aisle in an Alexander...
According to Denise, she's not sure that her estranged ex is completely sober....
Popeater Hot Topics
- Break Time: Khloe Kardashian shows Lamar Odom what he's missing
- Mariska Hargitay works to get backlog of rape tests in Detroit processed
- FOX411's pic of the day
- Jennifer Lopez says she would let both Ben Affleck and Diddy (hypothetically) drown ? VIDEO
- ?True Detective' season 2: Casting ideas from ?Entertainment Weirdly'
- Which ?Full House' star should host ?America's Funniest Home Videos'?
- Bachelor Juan Pablo Galavis Responds to Backlash, Posts Selfie With Winner Nikki Ferrell
- Shailene Woodley: I "Might Have" Hooked Up With a Costar After Filming
- Catherine Lowe Slams Bachelor Juan Pablo Galavis: "Don't Slap the Hand That Fed You," Husband Sean Lowe Admits Finale Was "Painful to Watch"