Chaz Bono Granted Name and Gender Change
By PopEater Staff Posted May 6th 2010 02:51PM
Bono was represented in court by attorney Kristina Wertz of the Transgender Law Center, who said her client "couldn't be happier."
"This is an important step in his transition and will allow him to change a variety of his identity documents to show who he truly is," Wertz said in a statement following the court visit.
The 41-year-old writer-activist, born Chastity Sun Bono to Sonny and Cher, told PEOPLE back in December that the gender-change process had been exhilarating.
"It's hard for me to articulate how this feels -- when you've lived your whole life in a body and having everybody relate to you as something you don't feel," Bono said. "When that finally gets righted, it's just amazing. I finally get to live my life the way I've always wanted to."
Bono has a long-time girlfriend, Jennifer Elia, and even appeared on 'Celebrity Fit Club' in 2006.
Chaz Bono Shots
Chaz Bono is taped by documentary film makers as he arrives to the Santa Monica Courthouse to formally ask a judge to change his name and gender following his 2009 sex change. More Photos >>
Getty Images North America
- Jennifer Aniston
- Paris Hilton
Kate Middleton is officially a princess. She walked the aisle in an Alexander...
According to Denise, she's not sure that her estranged ex is completely sober....
Popeater Hot Topics
- NYPD investigating Amanda Bynes' allegations of sexual assault
- Amanda Bynes free after arrest for tossing bong out of apartment window, police say
- Morgan Freeman seems to fall asleep during on-air interview
Huffington Post - EntertainmentFEED
- WATCH: Oprah On Americans Who 'Take Pills Like Candy'
- Roman Polanski's Shocking Words On Women
- Snooki Flaunts Tiny Waist In Sports Bra
- Sorry, folks, Jimmy Kimmel didn't really buy that $1.9 million nude Bea Arthur painting
- PopWatch Confessional TV Jukebox edition: What songs do you wish you'd heard on TV this year?
- Selena Gomez and Jaden Smith Dine in London
- Amanda Bynes Tweets Post-Arrest: 'I Don't Drink or Do Drugs'