Chaz Bono Granted Name and Gender Change
By PopEater Staff Posted May 6th 2010 02:51PM
Bono was represented in court by attorney Kristina Wertz of the Transgender Law Center, who said her client "couldn't be happier."
"This is an important step in his transition and will allow him to change a variety of his identity documents to show who he truly is," Wertz said in a statement following the court visit.
The 41-year-old writer-activist, born Chastity Sun Bono to Sonny and Cher, told PEOPLE back in December that the gender-change process had been exhilarating.
"It's hard for me to articulate how this feels -- when you've lived your whole life in a body and having everybody relate to you as something you don't feel," Bono said. "When that finally gets righted, it's just amazing. I finally get to live my life the way I've always wanted to."
Bono has a long-time girlfriend, Jennifer Elia, and even appeared on 'Celebrity Fit Club' in 2006.
Chaz Bono Shots
Chaz Bono is taped by documentary film makers as he arrives to the Santa Monica Courthouse to formally ask a judge to change his name and gender following his 2009 sex change. More Photos >>
Getty Images North America
- Jennifer Aniston
- Paris Hilton
Kate Middleton is officially a princess. She walked the aisle in an Alexander...
According to Denise, she's not sure that her estranged ex is completely sober....
Popeater Hot Topics
- Giuliana Rancic shows off bikini body after being criticized for thin frame
- Natalie Imbruglia did 'crazy stuff' after her divorce
- Mariah Carey slams 'American Idol,' calls show 'fake'
- Extra Scoop: Tracy Morgan Steps Out for the First Time Since Deadly Car Crash
- 'Orange Is the New Black' Stars Break Down What's in Store for Season 3!
- Bombshell Accusations Revealed in Court Docs! Bobby Flay's Wife Says He Cheated with January Jones
- Aquarius Premiere Recap: Everything You Need to Know About David Duchovny's Charles Manson Police Drama
- Dateline Correspondent Andrea Canning Welcomes Fifth Daughter ? See Her Photo!
- Chris Harrison Breaks Silence on The Bachelor's Whitney Bischoff, Chris Soules Split: "It's Sad"