Chaz Bono Granted Name and Gender Change
By PopEater Staff Posted May 6th 2010 02:51PM
Bono was represented in court by attorney Kristina Wertz of the Transgender Law Center, who said her client "couldn't be happier."
"This is an important step in his transition and will allow him to change a variety of his identity documents to show who he truly is," Wertz said in a statement following the court visit.
The 41-year-old writer-activist, born Chastity Sun Bono to Sonny and Cher, told PEOPLE back in December that the gender-change process had been exhilarating.
"It's hard for me to articulate how this feels -- when you've lived your whole life in a body and having everybody relate to you as something you don't feel," Bono said. "When that finally gets righted, it's just amazing. I finally get to live my life the way I've always wanted to."
Bono has a long-time girlfriend, Jennifer Elia, and even appeared on 'Celebrity Fit Club' in 2006.
Chaz Bono Shots
Chaz Bono is taped by documentary film makers as he arrives to the Santa Monica Courthouse to formally ask a judge to change his name and gender following his 2009 sex change. More Photos >>
Getty Images North America
- Jennifer Aniston
- Paris Hilton
Kate Middleton is officially a princess. She walked the aisle in an Alexander...
According to Denise, she's not sure that her estranged ex is completely sober....
Popeater Hot Topics
- Puddle of Mudd frontman Wes Scantlin accused of DWI, fleeing police in Minnesota
- Box Office Top 20: 'Ant-Man' beats 'Pixels' by a tentacle; 'Southpaw' outclasses 'Paper Towns'
- Hulk Hogan thanks fans for their support after being released from WWE contract
- Robin Williams' Work Highlighted in New Video
- Hilaria Baldwin Says Baby Rafa Is Getting ‘Really Chubby'
- What Will Happen to Bobbi Kristina's $20-Mil Fortune?
- Victoria's Secret Angels Fly to Rome to Shoot Holiday Campaign: Get a Sneak Peek at the Sexy Photos to Come!
- Ann Rule Dies: Famed True-Crime Writer, Ted Bundy Profiler Dead at 83
- Nick Gordon's Mom Michele Gordon Speaks on Son's Behalf After Bobbi Kristina Brown's Death: "He Has Suffered Greatly"