Barbara Walters Forced Elisabeth Hasselbeck's Apology?
By Rob Shuter Posted May 6th 2010 05:00PM
Sources tell me that a genuinely remorseful Elisabeth Hasselback may have been told by 'The View' matriarch Barbara Walters that an apology was needed for her nasty comments towards Erin Andrews. And, like all smart mama bears, Barbara knew that an apology on 'The View' would be a ratings gold mine. In addition, in these tough times, Elisabeth has reached out to a pal in her time of need, and you won't believe who it is: Sarah Palin.
"Elizabeth and Sarah have remained close friends after the election," an insider tells me. "Of course, she has reached out to her friends. She needs all the support she can get right now. It's during the bad times that you get to know who your real friends are."
Elizabeth publicly apologized after her remarks on 'The View,' in which she said Andrew's convicted stalker could have avoided prison and seen almost as much by watching Erin on 'Dancing with the Stars.' However, sources tell me the apology was more Barbara Walters' idea than Elisabeth's.
"Barbara thought it would be a good idea to have Elisabeth apologize on air," said one insider. "No one is more professional than Barbara, and since the comment was made on 'The View,' the apology should also be made on 'The View.' Plus, all this drama is GREAT for ratings."
On Wednesday's 'View,' a crying Hasselbeck said that "reckless words pierce someone's heart like a sword," and apologized for what she said the day prior.
Surprised By Elisabeth's Comments: Watch
So what exactly did she say that Andrews dubbed "a slap in the face to victims of stalking and sexual predators"? Hasselbeck said: "In light of what happened and as a legal [matter] -- and as inexcusable as it was for that horrific guy to go in and try to peep on her in her hotel room ... I mean, in some way if I'm him, I'm like, 'Man! I just could've waited 12 weeks and seen this -- a little bit less -- without the prison time!'"
No word yet on what advice Elizabeth's friend Sarah had to offer, although I'm sure if Barbara has her way, we will get to hear about it very soon on, you guessed it, 'The View.'
PopScene: Week's Hottest Pics
"Jersey Shore" cast members grabs drinks before strolling about town to film an episode for the upcoming season in Miami Beach.
PopScene: Weeks Hottest Pics
- Filed under:
- Celebrity Fights -
- Gut Reactions -
- TV News -
- Hottest Stories -
- Naughty But Nice With Rob Shuter -
- Elisabeth Hasselbeck
- Jennifer Aniston
- Paris Hilton
Kate Middleton is officially a princess. She walked the aisle in an Alexander...
According to Denise, she's not sure that her estranged ex is completely sober....
Popeater Hot Topics
- Scheana Marie Marries Michael Shay: Details on the Vanderpump Rules Star's Wedding
- Real Housewives of New Jersey Episode 3 Recap: Amber Marchese Stirs Up Drama With Twins, Milania Guidice Turns Up the Sass
- Jessica Simpson's Son Ace Plays With CaCee Cobb's Son Rocco, Pregnant Kourtney Kardashian Dresses Baby Bump in Nautical Outfit: Top 5 Weekend Stories
- Burn! Beyonce Skipped Kimye Wedding Because She ?Wasn't Going To Allow A Kardashian To Socially Climb Her,' Claims New Repor
- 'Lucy' tops 'Hercules' with $44M at the box office
- Casey Kasem's kids think wife has boyfriend in Montreal; may have dad's body there on ice
- Joan Rivers slams Selena Gomez for ?Pray for Gaza' post
- Real Housewives of Beverly Hills Star Brandi Glanville Launching New Wine, Wants Your Input
- Botched Before and After: Breast Cancer Survivor, Boob Implant Headache and Much More—See the Pics!
- Khloe and Kim Kardashian Have a Huge Fight While Kylie & Kendall Jenner Go Missing in Thailand—See the Full KUWTK Recap!