Kelly Clarkson Lashes Out With Fiery New Tune
In Clarkson's new tune (which is admittedly pretty roughly produced and probably wasn't meant to leak), she sings that she "Can't take the pressure of new / Give me old, flip it off let's see if it sticks to the wall again ... Give it to them, they will never notice, so what's stopping us? / Does it sound familiar, does it linger in your ear like something you remember from just last year...?"
Harsh, eh? While there's no official word from Clarkson as to what exactly the song is addressing, one could surmise that it's referring to last year's brouhaha when many found audible similarities between her tune 'Already Gone' and Beyonce's 'Halo.' Clarkson went on to address the situation, saying that she and Ryan Tedder had written 'Gone' long before 'Halo' even came out, and the next thing she knew, the similar-sounding 'Halo' -- which Tedder also co-wrote -- was out on the airwaves while her album was still being printed.
"It was all fine and dandy. I'd never heard of a song called 'Halo.' Her album came out when my album was already being printed. No one's gonna be sittin' at home, thinking, 'Man, Ryan Tedder gave Beyonce and Kelly the same track to write to.' No, they're just gonna be saying she ripped someone off. I called Ryan and said, 'I don't understand. Why would you do that?'" Kelly said in an interview with the CBC.
So, does it make sense that in 'Wash,' Kelly sings: "Music from the past, from the present, well just last week / We will change a note and get away with it (wait and see) / Just when you think we've changed like an addict we sweep back in with a dose of reality."
Tedder argued Clarkson has no right to accuse him of anything other than helping her out, and denied that he would ever pull a bait-and-switch on an artist. In an interview with Idolator last year, Tedder said of the situation: "I was absolutely livid when that whole thing came out because she had no idea what she was talking about when she said that ... If I was going around and selling the same track to the biggest artists in the world, how long would my career last? It's ludicrous. And she knows me well enough to know I'm not an idiot. I'm not the kinda guy who's gonna bust my ass for ten years to try and pull a fast one on Beyonce or Kelly." He even goes on to say that he actually liked 'Gone' more than 'Halo.'
As for the chorus, Kelly uses the old shampoo mantra, belting out: "Wash, rinse, repeat, why are you fighting it? / No, no no, don't get crazy keep between those lines / Here's what we have in mind, we've worked with everyone trust us and see / Wash, rinse and repeat."
Just this week, Billboard magazine declared Kelly the most successful 'Idol' contestant to come out of the show. According to the magazine, Clarkson has sold 10.6 million albums domestically, along with 15.9 million tracks and had 4.2 million radio plays. Carrie Underwood edges Kelly out in the albums sold category, but falls far short when it comes to tracks sold and radio plays.
MORE ABOUT Kelly Clarkson
Find the latest stories, biography, photos, videos, and more.Read more about Kelly Clarkson Li
- Jennifer Aniston
- Paris Hilton
Kate Middleton is officially a princess. She walked the aisle in an Alexander...
According to Denise, she's not sure that her estranged ex is completely sober....
Popeater Hot Topics
- Kate Upton takes on Ice Bucket challenge with rumored boyfriend Justin Verlander
- FOX411's pic of the day
- Metal rockers Motley Crue find welcome embrace in Nashville for country tribute album
- Lindsay Lohan posts selfie with Tina Fey during EW's ?Mean Girls' reunion
- The Rock is starring in DC's ?Shazam'? as the villain? An investigation
- Exclusive: The cast of Broadway's ?It's Only a Play' reenacts Ellen's Oscar selfie
- Nina Dobrev on Intimidating Guys, 'Let's Be Cops,' and the New Season of 'Vampire Diaries'
- Extra Scoop: Zoe Saldana Confirms Pregnancy in Ice Bucket Video
- Which Rapper Set Up Khlo
- Madonna's Son Rocco Channels Ex Sean Penn's Jeff Spicoli Character in Fast Times at Ridgemont High: Funny Picture
- Johnny Depp to Co-Star with 15-Year-Old Daughter Lily-Rose Depp in Upcoming Movie Yoga Hosers: Details
- Tom Cruise, Mission Impossible 5 Director Chris McQuarrie Take Multiple Ice Bucket Challenge for the Team