Mike Tyson Tells Barbara Walters She 'Shanghaied' Him in 1988 Interview
By Marc Schneider Posted May 7th 2010 02:00PM
During a Friday visit to 'The View,' the legendary face-puncher told Walters he felt "shanghaied in the moment" and "bushwacked" by Walters and Givens, who famously called the marriage "torture, pure hell, worse than anything I could possibly imagine."
Not exactly a ringing endorsement of his character, but in 1988, Tyson just looked on without a peep or even a raised eyebrow. Watch Then and Now:
Tyson now explains he was in his "junkie" stage at the time and was likely medicated, which would explain the blank look on his face. Following that interview, Tyson threw a tantrum (as well as a chair), and Givens quickly filed for divorce.
He told Walters he doesn't blame Givens for the failed eight-month marriage. She was reportedly upset about Tyson's 'View' appearance, but has made no public statement.
Now 43, Tyson's love life is more stable -- he married third wife Lakiha "Kiki" Spicer a year ago -- but his finances are another story. "I'm totally destitute and broke," he said when asked about how he was doing financially. "Yeah, I have no money."
When asked by Joy Behar how that could be possible, he replied, "Um, I had a lot of fun."
To which, Walters said, "Well, we hope that you find a way to make some money."
With six kids and a new wife, Tyson told the Elisabeth Hasselbeck-less 'View' panel that he lived recklessly for a long time and he's struggling to be a better man.
"I always had a lot of responsibilities, I just didn't take 'em," he explained. "I didn't care. It's hard living up to them. It's harder than being heavyweight champion of the world."
Tyson was on 'The View' to promote his upcoming reality show about pigeon racing and the documentary 'Tyson.'
Famous Inked Celebrities
Nikki Reed shows off her ink at Nickelodeon's 23rd Annual Kid's Choice Awards.
Michael Buckner, Getty Images
Michael Buckner, Getty Images
- Jennifer Aniston
- Paris Hilton
Kate Middleton is officially a princess. She walked the aisle in an Alexander...
According to Denise, she's not sure that her estranged ex is completely sober....
Popeater Hot Topics
- Angelina Jolie, Brad Pitt Through the Years: See the Married Stars in Mrs. and Mrs. Smith and on Red Carpets
- Kristen Stewart Says People "Don't Know D--k S--t" About Her Personal Life in Vanity Fair France Interview
- Kim Kardashian Asked Bruce Jenner to Help Deal With Brody Jenner Complaining About Her Wedding -- Watch!
- Oral Argument: New Tell-All Claims Katie Couric Joked Diane Sawyer ?Blew' Source For Story
- ?I Needed Help' ? Teen Mom's Catelynn Lowell Opens Up About Her Battle With Depression That Nearly Took Her Life ? ?I Felt Like I'd Be Better Off Dead'
- New Zack Morris: Unauthorized story 'a love letter' to Saved By The Bell
- Pregnant or burrito grande?
- Joan Rivers in intensive care, critical condition at hospital
- Kim Kardashian Flaunts Famous Butt in Skintight Workout Wear After Cleavage-Centric Date Night With Kanye West: See All the Pics!
- Jennifer Lawrence Looks Like She's Up to Something While Riding a Horse in Serena
- Editors' Obsessions: MAC's Simpsons Collection, Trader Joe's Cookie Butter Ice Cream & More!