It's Greyson Chance, the Oklahoma Swooner
By Marc Schneider Posted May 12th 2010 05:20PM
Greyson Michael Chance is the quintessential overnight sensation. A day after a video showing the tween performing Lady Gaga's 'Paparazzi' exploded on YouTube, Chance is jetting around the country, rubbing elbows with Ellen DeGeneres (he'll be on her talker on Thursday) and fielding a flood of interview offers. Meredith Vieira's fingers must be tired from dialing all day.
You've seen the video and you know what his acrobatic voice does to tween girls. But who is Greyson? PopEater spoke with the 12-year-old virtuoso's music teacher, Kelly Cheek, to get the skinny on the kid everyone's calling the next Justin Bieber.
First things first, Greyson is a sixth-grader at Cheyenne Middle School in Edmond, Oklahoma. The performance was part of a district-wide talent show at a nearby middle school. Cheek tells us that, amazingly, Greyson has only been in her choir class since January.
"I have to say, he has done pretty awesome [in class]!" she said, glowingly. "I have never seen anyone with his level or type of talent."
His unique gift -- think Tori Amos if she were a 12-year-old boy from Oklahoma -- has helped him rack up well over a million views for the video, and has inspired a Facebook fan page, which currently has nearly 10,000 devotees screaming "WOW!" and "Sooooo Cool!" "It's amazing to see that level of comfort from such a young performer," Cheek said.
But Greyson isn't the only star of the clip, of course. Seated behind him on the risers, slack-jawed and staring, are a dozen or so young girls doing their best to not faint on each other.
"He put the video up himself, and the reaction at the concert alone was crazy," Cheek recalled of the scene. "All of the girls were screaming, they just loved it!"
Cheek, who it should be noted is NOT the woman near the end of the video, has high hopes for her pupil, but for now is just hoping he comes back to class before summer break.
"I am unsure of his plans after this," she tells us. "We really hope he comes back to school for the rest of the year, but after this video, who knows what his future holds!"
Cheek says there's been "constant excitement" at the school all day Wednesday and that "its been very hard to get any work done" with all the Greyson-fever going around. "We have a very long list of people who have called wanting to talk to Greyson!"
Greyson was Student of the Month last October. We're just gonna go out on a limb and predict he'll reprise that honor for May.
So, what about Greyson's other talents? On his YouTube page, the only other videos he's uploaded are self-penned and are a far cry from your normal 12-year-old pop fare. According to the child prodigy, one of the tracks, 'Stars,' is "about a wife who dies of cancer but then she goes to heaven ... Then the husband shortly after her." Watch:
- Jennifer Aniston
- Paris Hilton
Kate Middleton is officially a princess. She walked the aisle in an Alexander...
According to Denise, she's not sure that her estranged ex is completely sober....
Popeater Hot Topics
- Kaley Cuoco-Sweeting: How I found out nude pics had leaked
- Jason Aldean: Get over affair and stop calling me 'bro country'
- Gerard Depardieu says he can drink 12-14 bottles of wine a day
- ?Friday Night Lights' director says his son won't be playing football
- Billy Crystal and Jimmy Fallon reminisce about Robin Williams
- 'Booty'-licious! See Jennifer Lopez's Hottest Video of All Time
- Video: Melissa Rivers Shares the President's Touching Message About Joan
- Is Rosie O'Donnell Calling It Quits on 'The View'?
- Kaley Cuoco Officially Debuts Blonder, Shaggier Pixie Cut on Jimmy Kimmel Live
- Teresa Giudice Gets Thrown In Nicole Napolitano's Line of Fire on Upcoming Real Housewives of New Jersey: Exclusive Clip
- Nicole Kidman Delivers Eulogy at Dad Antony's Funeral: He Helped Me Through Tom Cruise Split, Was "On a Plane Hours After" Divorce