'Deadliest Catch' Fisherman Jailed for Three Robberies
Warner, 23, hit a Washington Mutual Bank in Eugene, Ore., on Oct. 19, 2007, just before boarding a boat for Discovery Channel's crab fishing reality series. Warner's lawyer said his client was "strung out" on OxyContin surrounding the three robberies, adding he had a tough childhood as a "throwaway kid" of a policeman who lapsed into alcoholism.
In the trial, Lane County Deputy District Attorney Chris Parosa read two letters from tellers recounting Warner's robberies, saying Warner passed them notes warning they'd be murdered if they didn't comply. One teller wrote that Warner stole her "ability to easily trust another human being." Another said she harbors "a flutter of anxiety every time a non-client enters the bank.
"To me, this is a tragedy," Warner's attorney, John Kolego, said in court Wednesday. "It's a tragedy what he's done to the [bank] tellers, and it's a tragedy what he's done to his own life."
Warner apologized to the bank tellers in attendance, calling his behavior "desperate" and saying, "I know there's no reason that justifies a threat on a person's life for money. No person deserves such distress."
Warner's appearance on 'Deadliest Catch' led to his arrest in January -- viewers called police after recognizing Warner on television, identifying him as a suspect in the robberies. Warner was picked up at a traffic stop in Illinois, extradited to his native Oregon and has remained in jail since.
Warner has no prior adult criminal record in Oregon, the Register-Guard reports.
This news comes less than one week after 'Deadliest Catch' production manager Matthew Schneider, 22, "bragged about his ability to deliver cocaine to the Alaska fishing town of Unalaska," according to an AP report. Schneider now faces felony drug charges.
For 'Deadliest Catch' news of a different tune, check out our interview and videos with captains Johnathan and Andy Hillstrand.
Celebrity Mug Shots
- Jennifer Aniston
- Paris Hilton
Kate Middleton is officially a princess. She walked the aisle in an Alexander...
According to Denise, she's not sure that her estranged ex is completely sober....
Popeater Hot Topics
- Fifty Shades of Grey New Trailer: Christian Grey Asks "Do You Trust Me?"
- Jennifer Aniston's Cake Costar Camille Guaty on Her Weight Gain: People Thought She Was Pregnant!
- Harry Styles: Did He Send Taylor Swift 1,989 Red Roses? Watch Tell All in Video!
- Kim Richards Dog Victim Says ?I Don't Believe' She Gave Pitbull To Trainer For Good ? Lawsuit Gets Ugly
- Polish town bans Winnie the Pooh mascot from playground for being hermaphrodite
- Rapper facing life in prison for 'promoting gang violence' on album cover
- Britain still grappling with barrage of celebrity sex abuse