Larry Birkhead Brings Sleepy Dannielynn on 'Today'
By PopEater Staff Posted May 13th 2010 11:10AM
The Today Show,' where he spoke about his life after Anna Nicole Smith's tragic death and why he's now selling her memorabilia at an upcoming auction in Las Vegas. "It's like, do I want to hold on to one of Anna's dresses, or do I want to try to help Dannielynn's future?" he said. "We have money," Birkhead added, "We have more than enough to survive on. [Auction proceeds] would just supplement that." While he continued to speak about the auction, he held his daughter, who peacefully snoozed while the cameras kept rolling.
The items, which include Smith's furniture, wardrobe, artwork and even a car, will be sold by Julien's Auctions at the Planet Hollywood Resort and Casino on June 26. Proceeds from the sale will benefit the Anna Nicole and Daniel Wayne Smith Foundation.
"When Anna first passed away, I had to take every single thing out of the house and put it away in storage," he said. "It was too hard emotionally for me to be around those memories."
Birkhead refused to sell two Kentucky Derby dresses she wore when they first met, but he has since loaned them to the Kentucky Derby Museum. He admits, his life came full circle when he took his 3-year-old daughter Dannielynn to the Kentucky Derby this year, because in 2004 the Derby is where he met the toddler's mother.
"I kept that [dress] for my daughter because I know it was really special to Anna -- she would never part with it," said Birkhead. "I also kept Anna's jewelry because every little girl likes jewelry."
Smith was in a legal battle over proceeds from the estate of her dead husband, Texas billionaire Marshall, when she died in 2007 of an accidental drug overdose. Dannielynn stood to be the key beneficiary. But just this past March, a federal appeals court ruled Smith's estate was not entitled to any of the $300 million she sought from Marshall's estate, and last week, an appeals court denied a request to reconsider the decision.
During an interview on ABC, he claimed his one-time nemesis, Smith's lawyer and former boyfriend Howard K. Stern, whom he battled in court over paternity and guardianship of Dannielynn, is now a regular in his life. "At one time, he and I were not so friendly," Birkhead admits -- rather wryly.
"But now we get along. Howard is the executor of Anna's estate, so we spend a lot of time talking about estate business ... Howard truly does want what's best for Dannielynn, and there's not too many of those people floating around."
Larry Berkhead and daughter Dannielynn look at a dress of Anna Nicole Smith at the Kentucky Derby Museum Wednesday, April 28, 2010, in Louisville, Ky.
Anna Nicole Smith Snapshots
- Jennifer Aniston
- Paris Hilton
Kate Middleton is officially a princess. She walked the aisle in an Alexander...
According to Denise, she's not sure that her estranged ex is completely sober....
Popeater Hot Topics
- Miley Cyrus Hosts SNL Season 41 Premiere: Taylor Swift's Squad, Hillary Clinton, and More Best Sketches
- Unauthorized Beverly Hills, 90210 Story: 10 Best Revelations, Including How Tori Spelling Had Shannen Doherty's Back
- Selma Blair on Playing Kris Jenner in American Crime Story: "I Don't Have Enough Good Things to Say About Her"
- Lovelorn fan proposes to Keira Knightely during Broadway debut
- Geena Davis, 59, to play 44-year-old Jon Hamm's daughter
- Jim Carrey's ex reportedly committed suicide using pills prescribed to the comedian
- Chantal Awkwardly Freezes Up During a Private Chat With Diane von Furstenberg—Watch the House of DVF Clip!
- Khloé Kardashian Comforts ''Devastated'' Ex Lamar Odom After His Friend Jamie's Death: Watch the Emotional KUWTK Clip
- Durrani Gets in Trouble for Taking Selfies in the Bathroom at Work—Watch the DASH Dolls Clip!