Charlotte Lewis Says Roman Polanski Abused Her at 16
By PopEater Staff Posted May 14th 2010 03:26PM
With high-powered attorney Gloria Allred at her side, the 42-year-old actress told reporters on Friday that Polanski victimized her "in the worst possible way" when they first met at his apartment. Lewis went on to appear in Polanski's 1986 adventure-comedy, 'Pirates.' She was 19 when the film was released, however it took years to complete.
Allred told reporters that if Lewis' allegations are true, they "are relevant for his sentencing" in a decades-old conviction for unlawful sex with a minor. The 'Chinatown' director is currently fighting extradition to the United States after years of being a fugitive.
Lewis did not offer many details about the alleged incident, only that Polanski used force during a visit to his apartment in Paris.
"Mr. Polanski knew that I was only 16 years old when he met me and forced himself upon me in his apartment in Paris," she said. "He took advantage of me and I have lived with the effects of his behavior ever since it occurred. All I want is justice."
The age of consent in France is 16, providing there was no force or coercion involved.
Lewis said there were "similarities" between what she claims Polanski did to her and the incident involving Samantha Geimer, the then-13-year-old model at the center of his criminal case.
Polanski was accused of plying Geimer with champagne and part of a Quaalude pill, then raping her during a modeling shoot at Jack Nicholson's house in 1977. Polanski was initially indicted on six felony counts, including rape by use of drugs, child molesting and sodomy. He later pleaded guilty to one count of unlawful sexual intercourse in a plea bargain.
Allred has taken Lewis' accusations to the Los Angeles Police Department and the LA District Attorney's Office, presumably to help boost their case against Polanski.
Other than 'Pirates,' Lewis is best known for her starring role in 'The Golden Child' and later posed in a memorable spread for Playboy magazine, where the headline read, "The Golden Child Is a Grown-Up Sizzler."
Roman Polanski Snapshots
LOS ANGELES, CA - MAY 14: Lawyer Gloria Allred (L) and actress Charlotte Lewis speak during a press conference on May 14, 2010 in Los Angeles, California. Charlotte Lewis alleges that she was sexually abused by Roman Polanski when she was 16 years old. (Photo by David Livingston/Getty Images) *** Local Caption *** Gloria Allred;Charlotte Lewis
Getty Images North America
- Jennifer Aniston
- Paris Hilton
Kate Middleton is officially a princess. She walked the aisle in an Alexander...
According to Denise, she's not sure that her estranged ex is completely sober....
Popeater Hot Topics
- Jasmine Tridevil 'flattered' her three-breasted look is a Halloween hit
- Fashion designer Oscar de la Renta dies at age 82
- 'The Big Bang Theory' recap: More money, more problems
- Producer Ed Pressman to Get Abu Dhabi Film Festival Honor
- Germany's ProSiebenSat.1 Hires Israeli Producer for Co-Production Job
- U.K. TV Groups Rare, BabyGrand Launch Joint Venture
- Broadway box office: Michael C. Hall's ?Hedwig' scores, but Carol Burnett can't boost ?Love Letters'
- Hannibal Buress calls Bill Cosby a ?rapist' in stand-up set
- Let's revisit Larry King's 2 a.m. Twitter rampage
- What's Worth Watching This Week: 'Snowpiercer,' 'Life After Beth,' 'Pee-wee's Playhouse'
- 'Avengers: Age of Ultron' Will Have More Visual Effects Than Any Other Marvel Movie
- Florida Mom Petitions Toys 'R' Us to Remove 'Breaking Bad' Figures From Stores