Heavy Metal Singer Ronnie James Dio Dead at 67
By PopEater Staff Posted May 16th 2010 08:01PM
Dio's wife, Wendy, broke the news today on Ronnie's official website.
"Today my heart is broken, Ronnie passed away at 7:45am 16th May," she wrote. "Many, many friends and family were able to say their private good-byes before he peacefully passed away. Ronnie knew how much he was loved by all. We so appreciate the love and support that you have all given us. Please give us a few days of privacy to deal with this terrible loss. Please know he loved you all and his music will live on forever."
Dio's cancer was first announced last November. He was expected to take part in this summer's Heaven & Hell tour, which was subsequently canceled in May due to his health.
After stints with bands like Elf (formerly the Electric Elves), Dio was recruited by Deep Purple guitarist Ritchie Blackmore to form Rainbow in 1975. Dio left the band in 1979 and quickly joined Black Sabbath as a replacement for Ozzy Ozbourne. Dio's first album with Black Sabbath was the iconic 'Heaven & Hell,' released in 1980.
Dio, who is often credited for creating the devil horns hand gesture, recorded two additional albums with Black Sabbath -- 'Mob Rules' and 'Live Evil' -- before leaving in 1982 over reported sound mixing issues on 'Live Evil.' He went on to lead his next band, Dio, shortly thereafter, where he was joined by Black Sabbath drummer Vinny Appice.
Dio would later reunite with Black Sabbath on 1992's 'Dehumanizer.'
Dio released 10 albums under his namesake band, including 'Holy Diver,' and remained with the band throughout, despite numerous departures and changes.
In 2006, he formed the band Heaven & Hell with Appice and Black Sabbath's Tony Iommi and Geezer Butler. Together, they released one studio album -- 2009's 'The Devil You Know -- as well as a live CD.
At a Los Angeles event in April, Dio gave Artisan News an update on his battle with cancer, saying, "If you're determined to beat it, then you have to go with what you believe is going to beat it for you."
Born Ronald James Padavona in Portsmouth, New Hampshrie, Dio released his first record in 1958 with Ronnie & the Redcaps. He was married twice -- first, to Loretta Berardi, with whom he adopted a son, Dan.
Dio's stage name was reportedly inspired by New York mafia member Johnny Dio.
For more on Ronnie James Dio, visit Spinner.
Recently Departed Celebrities
Lynn Redgrave, May 2: The third member of the Redgrave acting dynasty to die in a year, Lynn passed away at her Manhattan apartment at age 67 of as-yet unannounced causes. The 'Georgy Girl' star's niece, Natasha Richardson, died a year ago and her older brother Corin, succumbed to illness a month ago.
Teresa Barbieri, Getty Images
Teresa Barbieri, Getty Images
Recently Departed Celebs
- Jennifer Aniston
- Paris Hilton
Kate Middleton is officially a princess. She walked the aisle in an Alexander...
According to Denise, she's not sure that her estranged ex is completely sober....
Popeater Hot Topics
- Fashion designer Oscar de la Renta dies at age 82
- 'The Big Bang Theory' recap: More money, more problems
- Taylor Swift slams critics for being sexist
- Broadway box office: Michael C. Hall's ?Hedwig' scores, but Carol Burnett can't boost ?Love Letters'
- Hannibal Buress calls Bill Cosby a ?rapist' in stand-up set
- Let's revisit Larry King's 2 a.m. Twitter rampage
- Designer Oscar de la Renta Dead at 82
- Extra Scoop: Watch Jason Momoa's Super Intense ?GoT' Audition Tape
- ?Fury' Star Shia LaBeouf ?Found God? in a Very Real Way'
- Kris Jenner Clears Up Rumors About Bruce Jenner's Transformation; Monica Lewinsky Was "In Love" With Bill Clinton: Top 5 Stories
- Teresa Giudice Dropped By Crisis Manager Wendy Feldman After Filing Orange Is The New Black Prison Request: Details
- Ryan Phillippe Disses His Own Career: "I've Made 30-Plus Films," "Five of Them Are Good"