Is Will Ferrell Running the Fake Paramount Twitter?
By Zach Dionne Posted May 17th 2010 04:00PM
A bitingly-comical new Twitter feed flying under the flag of Paramount Films is being run by "a multi-talented actor-writer-director-producer angry at the studio," Deadline Hollywood reports.
The parodic tweets skewer the studio with lines like, "To all who are upset about us not green lighting Anchorman 2, we at Paramount say screw you! We have more reboots to fund instead!!" and "To all writers looking to pitch any original movie ideas to us, please submit them to the nearest garbage can in your vicinity."
Read on to see why PopEater believes someone in Will Ferrell's camp, or perhaps Ron Burgundy himself, may be in charge.
The fake account began just over two weeks ago -- suspiciously closely timed with the news that 'Anchorman 2' would in fact not come to fruition. This, combined with the humor of the tweets, heavy @ mentions of producer Adam McKay, and the already-proven viral success of FunnyOrDie, leads us to believe Ferrell or someone in his comedy family is involved.
Part of the account's not-so-subversive lifeblood is ironically mocking the fact that 'Anchorman 2' -- a sequel legions of cult fans have clamored for -- may never exist. Check out these tweets:
Will Ferrell seems somewhat unlikely, as his distaste for Twitter was documented in mid-2009. "I tweeted for four days," Farrell told Showbiz Spy. "I went on and got massively made fun of for the lack of humor in my tweets. I got badly treated. My parting shot on Twitter was to one guy who criticized me saying, 'You are a little b***h.' I ran away like a little girl."
Adam McKay, on the other hand, tweets profusely to his 20,000 followers. He's also one of only five people the Paramount account follows (others include Ben Stiller and Mindy Kaling of 'The Office,' a staple of the celebrity Twitter crowd) and has retweeted at least one of the faux Paramount posts. So for now, we'll continue hoping it's Will Ferrell, but we reserve the right to act unsurprised if Adam McKay steps out as the studio-bashing tweet ninja.
- Jennifer Aniston
- Paris Hilton
Kate Middleton is officially a princess. She walked the aisle in an Alexander...
According to Denise, she's not sure that her estranged ex is completely sober....
Popeater Hot Topics
- Sigourney Weaver talks 'Alien: Isolation,' hints at 'Alien 5'
- Sexy celeb magazine covers
- Orlando Bloom threw a punch at Justin Bieber at Spanish hotspot, report says
- 'MythBusters' Star Adam Savage on His Broken Bones, Emmy Optimism (Q&A)
- Meredith Vieira on the 'Today' Show Turmoil, Her New Daytime Gamble
- 'Big Bang Theory' Delays Production as Cast Still Without Contracts
- Allison Williams Will Show Off Her Singing Chops in NBC's Live 'Peter Pan' Musical
- The 9 Best 'Sharknado' GIFs Ever
- Best of Late Night TV: Daniel Radcliffe Cuts a Stranger's Hair, Vin Diesel Gives Language Lessons (VIDEO)