Roman Polanski Has a Friend in Woody Allen
By PopEater Staff Posted May 17th 2010 06:59AM
"It's something that happened many years ago ... he has suffered, he has not been allowed to go to the United States. He was embarrassed by the whole thing," Allen said in an interview Saturday with France Info radio at the Cannes Film Festival.
Allen continued: "He has paid his dues, he has had a hard life. The girl involved doesn't want anything to happen to him."
The 74-year-old director was speaking a day after British actress Charlotte Lewis accused Polanski of sexually abusing her when she was 16. The 'Golden Child' star, now 42, told reporters on Friday that Polanski victimized her "in the worst possible way" at his Paris apartment in the 1980s.
It's unclear whether Allen was aware of Lewis' allegations when he affirmed his support of Polanski in France.
Polanski pleaded guilty in 1978 to unlawful sexual intercourse with a 13-year-old girl named Samantha Geimer. He was taken into custody in September and is currently under house arrest in Gstaad, Switzerland.
Allen's relationship with actress Mia Farrow ended in scandal and New York tabloid headlines in 1992, when she found out he was having an affair with her adopted daughter, Soon-Yi Previn, then 22. Allen married Previn in 1997.
Caught in Action: Celebrities Hard at Work
Natalie Portman and Ashton Kutcher chat on set of their new film 'Friends with Benefits' on May 13th.
- Jennifer Aniston
- Paris Hilton
Kate Middleton is officially a princess. She walked the aisle in an Alexander...
According to Denise, she's not sure that her estranged ex is completely sober....
Popeater Hot Topics
- Michael Buble hits a sour note with Instagram pic
- Blues Traveler's John Popper talks about band's new album
- 'Paul Blart: Mall Cop 2' reviewers: Don't see film
- Tribeca 2015: Mary J. Blige Feels "a New Confidence" With 'London Sessions' Doc
- Style Notes: Rick Owens Gets Down in Hong Kong; American Apparel Gets Sued (Again)
- Lucas Till Returns to 'X-Men: Apocalypse' as Havok
- Watch the First 'Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice' Trailer in All Its Glory
- The 27 Best Las Vegas Movies
- Disney Still Can't Stop 'Frozen' Lawsuit, Trial Date Set