News Titans Align to Raise Money for Cancer Research
By PopEater Staff Posted May 19th 2010 02:13PM
The broadcast will feature a lineup filled with A-list talent and musical performances from some of the biggest acts in the business. No names have been confirmed just yet, but in 2008 stars like Beyonce, Miley Cyrus and others took to the mic. That telecast raised more than $100 million.
"Stand Up To Cancer is a populist movement," explains Couric. "People of all ages are getting involved ... Not only people who have cancer or who are dealing with it, but young people who want a cancer-free world in their future – we really think that's finally attainable."
"The broadcast is a way of saying, 'Together, we can do this,'" Diane Sawyer said about the show. "And yes, we're losing one person every minute, but 11 million survivors are out there; living proof that this can be done."
Brian Williams got a bit more historic with his analysis. "I try to remind people ... We won the Second World War, came back from that, and decided to go to the moon. We didn't really break a sweat. And when you think about it, think of all that energy and power we can unleash when we want to ... As we said when we first embarked on this, if enough people stand up and say, 'No, we're not going to do this anymore,' we can do this."
Katie Couric Snapshots
NEW YORK - MAY 05: TV Personalities Matt Lauer and Katie Couric attend the Museum of the Moving Image Honoring Katie Couric at the St. Regis Hotel on May 5, 2010 in New York City. (Photo by Ben Hider/Getty Images) *** Local Caption *** Matt Lauer;Katie Couric
Getty Images North America
- Jennifer Aniston
- Paris Hilton
Kate Middleton is officially a princess. She walked the aisle in an Alexander...
According to Denise, she's not sure that her estranged ex is completely sober....
Popeater Hot Topics
- The Bachelor Season 19, Episode 4 Recap: One Girl Gets the Cinderella Treatment, While the Rest Get Down and Dirty
- Selma Director Ava DuVernay, Star David Oyelowo to Create Hurricane Katrina Drama
- Jamal Woolard, Federico Castelluccio Rally to Support Troubled Adolescents for Premiere of Short Film "Boys of Bate"
- Miley Cyrus: I thought Grammy nomination was a joke
- Unrelated celebrity twins
- Emma Watson to star in live-action 'Beauty and the Beast'
- Kim Kardashian's T-Mobile Super Bowl Commercial Hits the Internet—Watch Now!
- Bill Cosby Sexual Assault Allegations Continue: Former Hollywood Executive Says Comedian Took Advantage of Her 36 Years Ago
- Mission: Impossible 5 Release Date Moved Up: Find Out When You Can See Tom Cruise's Next Film!