Dana Plato's Suicidal Son Tyler Lambert Was in 'Pure Hell'
By PopEater Staff Posted May 20th 2010 04:00PM
'Diff'rent Strokes' star Dana Plato's suicide left her son in a world of "pure hell," which ended in his tragic May 6 gunshot suicide, his grandmother tells PEOPLE.
Joni Richardson said her 25-year-old grandson (pictured above in 1999) struggled with drugs and alcohol for 10 years, desperately attempting to "drown out the pain." His mother took her life with prescription pills when he was just 14.
While there has been speculation Lambert was on drugs at the time of his death, the Tulsa, Oklahoma Office of the Chief Medical Examiner told PopEater toxicology tests could take two to three months.
"At 15, he started to get wild," Richardson said, adding that Lambert had problems with drugs and alcohol, resulting in several rehab stints. "These past 10 years have been pure hell."
Richardson says Lambert left a suicide note reading: "The only moments of happiness for me are when I'm real high and don't think about the past or I'm real drunk and not able to."
With the initial news of Lambert's death, Richardson told the National Enquirer, "Tyler wanted to be with his mother. His father Lanny (Lambert, Plato's ex-husband) is devastated."
Lambert's difficulty dealing with his mother's demise -- he took his life two days before the 11-year anniversary of her death -- led to a series of tattoos. "He had his mother's name on his hand, on his arm and right across his finger," Richardson says. "He was putting her ashes in with the ink. [That way] he could feel that he had part of her with him."
Dana Plato committed suicide in Moore, Oklahoma, with prescription pills on May 8, 1999. She was 36 years old. Plato had harbored a troubled past, including a 1991 arrest for robbing a video store in Las Vegas, earning her five years' probation. She received additional probation just a year later, for forging Valium prescriptions.
In 2006, a 21-year-old Lambert filed a $20,000 wrongful death lawsuit against Plato's former fiance, claiming he contributed to Plato's death by "not giving immediate medical assistance or contacting medical personnel," according to court documents.
Recently Departed Celebrities
Lynn Redgrave, May 2: The third member of the Redgrave acting dynasty to die in a year, Lynn passed away at her Manhattan apartment at age 67 of as-yet unannounced causes. The 'Georgy Girl' star's niece, Natasha Richardson, died a year ago and her older brother Corin, succumbed to illness a month ago.
Teresa Barbieri, Getty Images
Teresa Barbieri, Getty Images
Recently Departed Celebs
- Jennifer Aniston
- Paris Hilton
Kate Middleton is officially a princess. She walked the aisle in an Alexander...
According to Denise, she's not sure that her estranged ex is completely sober....
Popeater Hot Topics
- Luke Bryan reaches out to dying teenager on Twitter
- Kaley Cuoco-Sweeting: How I found out nude pics had leaked
- Jason Aldean: Get over affair and stop calling me 'bro country'
- Charles Dance Says He's Not Done With 'Game of Thrones' Just Yet
- Ray Bradbury Sci-Fi and Animation Art Collection Up For Auction
- Warner Bros. Producing Prequel to Hit Mexican Toon 'Top Cat'
- Entertainment Geekly: ?Super Smash Bros.' was the best and worst thing to happen to Nintendo
- Hear three tracks from the all-star ?Here Lies Love' remix album
- These Are the 15 Funniest 'The Cosby Show' Episodes Ever (VIDEO)
- Our Hopes for 'The Good Wife' Season 6: Alicia Florrick, State's Attorney?
- Marvel's 'Deadpool' Gets 2016 Release Date -- And Maybe Ryan Reynolds