Reports: Adam Ant Sent to Psychiatric Hospital Again
By PopEater Staff Posted May 21st 2010 06:00PM
Eighties singer Adam Ant has been placed under mental hospital care after a spate of bizarre and often offensive outbursts in public, numerous British newspapers are reporting Friday.
According to the Daily Mail and The Sun, Ant -- real name Stuart Goddard -- unleashed a "tirade of abuse" on a crowd at a charity concert in Portsmouth last week. Attendees began booing when Ant stopped the show to teach a 4-year-old boy the words of a song. He asked if there were any Christians in attendance, and reportedly told them to "f**k off."
This outburst, along with his history of depression and bipolar disorder, was justification to forcibly place the singer in the hospital under Britain's Mental Health Act. The practice is known as "sectioning," and is not unlike when a person is put under a non-voluntary mental health hold in states like California.
The Music Fix blog posted a message reportedly from the 'Goody Two Shoes' singer. In it, he says he is at the Chelsea & Wesminster Hospital.
Ant asks: "Please don't come down here as it may upset the staff who have been really pleasant. I am having a well earned rest at Her Majesty's Pleasure and am painting and continuing being an art student. I have a great view and am considering gigs later in the year."
The former Adam and the Ants frontman was reportedly admitted on Tuesday night. He was previously sent to a psychiatric ward for several months in 2003 following an incident where he tried to smash through a neighbor's door, then pulled his pants down, reclined and tried to sleep.
He recently told fans he had gotten his bipolar disorder under control and that his 12-year-old daughter, Lily, was his inspiration.
"I've had this lifelong battle against manic depression but I've had to overcome it for her sake," he said. "Times got bad. I lost my mind. But I'm back."
- Jennifer Aniston
- Paris Hilton
Kate Middleton is officially a princess. She walked the aisle in an Alexander...
According to Denise, she's not sure that her estranged ex is completely sober....
Popeater Hot Topics
- Making age-appropriate music with former rock star John Mellencamp
- ?Exodus' star Christian Bale on playing Moses: ?You can't out-Heston Charlton Heston'
- Firsts & Worsts: Annaleigh Ashford on ?Sex,' superstition, and Cyndi Lauper
- Minus some missteps, ?Shadow of Mordor' is one of the year's best games
- Brad Pitt Gushes About Fatherhood and How It Changed Him
- Did Justin Bieber Punch a Paparazzo in the Face?!
- Isla Fisher Pregnant, Expecting Third Child With Sacha Baron Cohen: See Her Baby Bump
- Ariana Grande Talks the Mariah Carey Comparisons: "It's Honestly a Great Honor"
- Ben Affleck Calls Jon Stewart a Copycat, Freaks Over Gone Girl Spoilers in Hilarious Interview: Watch