Reports: Adam Ant Sent to Psychiatric Hospital Again
By PopEater Staff Posted May 21st 2010 06:00PM
Eighties singer Adam Ant has been placed under mental hospital care after a spate of bizarre and often offensive outbursts in public, numerous British newspapers are reporting Friday.
According to the Daily Mail and The Sun, Ant -- real name Stuart Goddard -- unleashed a "tirade of abuse" on a crowd at a charity concert in Portsmouth last week. Attendees began booing when Ant stopped the show to teach a 4-year-old boy the words of a song. He asked if there were any Christians in attendance, and reportedly told them to "f**k off."
This outburst, along with his history of depression and bipolar disorder, was justification to forcibly place the singer in the hospital under Britain's Mental Health Act. The practice is known as "sectioning," and is not unlike when a person is put under a non-voluntary mental health hold in states like California.
The Music Fix blog posted a message reportedly from the 'Goody Two Shoes' singer. In it, he says he is at the Chelsea & Wesminster Hospital.
Ant asks: "Please don't come down here as it may upset the staff who have been really pleasant. I am having a well earned rest at Her Majesty's Pleasure and am painting and continuing being an art student. I have a great view and am considering gigs later in the year."
The former Adam and the Ants frontman was reportedly admitted on Tuesday night. He was previously sent to a psychiatric ward for several months in 2003 following an incident where he tried to smash through a neighbor's door, then pulled his pants down, reclined and tried to sleep.
He recently told fans he had gotten his bipolar disorder under control and that his 12-year-old daughter, Lily, was his inspiration.
"I've had this lifelong battle against manic depression but I've had to overcome it for her sake," he said. "Times got bad. I lost my mind. But I'm back."
- Jennifer Aniston
- Paris Hilton
Kate Middleton is officially a princess. She walked the aisle in an Alexander...
According to Denise, she's not sure that her estranged ex is completely sober....
Popeater Hot Topics
- FOX411's pic of the day
- Ebola scare: What can NBC do to restore trust in medical editor Dr. Nancy Snyderman?
- Bethenny Frankel nervous for her 'Real Housewives of New York City' return
- 2,000+ sign petition to remove ?Breaking Bad' toys from Toys ?R' Us
- Marcel the Shell returns, sings, is generally wonderful in new video
- Mariah Carey Nearly Suffers Another Wardrobe Malfunction on Tour
- Is Kim K Bringing Sexy Back? Tell Us What You Think of Her Outfit
- Kris Jenner's First Words on Bruce Dating Her BFF
- Lily Collins' Violet Elie Saab Dress Rules the Red Carpet in Rome: Swoon with Us Over the Elegant Gown
- Selena Gomez Reveals Relationship Advice From Taylor Swift, Says "She Never Judges Me For Anything"
- Nicki Minaj Reveals She Was Fired From Red Lobster for Chasing Customers Who Took Her Pen