Dora the Explorer: Arrested for Illegal Immigration?
By PopEater Staff Posted May 21st 2010 09:15PM
Arizona's controversial new immigration law has recently stirred up a lot of attention and outcry around the country. And in an effort to really drive their point home, campaigners against the law are using a doctored image of Dora the Explorer as a symbol of their cause. They are using it, and other similarly doctored pictures, to question the character's immigration status and country of origin, the Associated Press reports.
Taking it a step further, several websites including The Huffington Post, have even posted faux articles narrating Dora's capture and arrest. Another photo making the rounds on Facebook features the character catapulting over the fence at the US/Mexico border.
The image was actually created sometime last year by Debbie Groban who designed it for a contest on fake news website FreakingNews.com. Since then, those campaigning against the new Arizona law have been using it.
Nickelodeon is trying its best to avoid fueling the fire by declining to comment on Dora's background. Researchers and the public are trying to find clues to help determine her birthplace or citizenship--from questioning who voices the character (two actresses have; one is Peruvian, the other is Cuban,) to dissecting the fictional location of her show. But no one is confirming or denying anything.
The Latina cartoon character has been a popular and important part of Nickelodeon's programming for almost 10 years. On her show, she teaches young children the alphabet, how to count, colors, and beginner Spanish phrases.
PopScene: Week's Hottest Pics
Gabourey Sidibe attends The American Cancer Society's Choose You luncheon on May 5th in New York City.
Amy Sussman, Getty Images
Amy Sussman, Getty Images
PopScene: Weeks Hottest Pics
- Jennifer Aniston
- Paris Hilton
Kate Middleton is officially a princess. She walked the aisle in an Alexander...
According to Denise, she's not sure that her estranged ex is completely sober....
Popeater Hot Topics
- Michael B. Jordan Slams Racist "Internet Trolls" Who Are Angry About His Fantastic Four Casting As Johnny Storm
- Chris Pratt Apologizes in Advance For Jurassic World Press Tour: "I Am Just Dumb!"
- Delaware Police Rally to Help Fan With Down Syndrome, Cancer Meet Taylor Swift
- '19 Kids and Counting' yanked from TLC's schedule
- 'Bachelorette' Kaitlyn Bristowe: 'Not ashamed' of having sex on the show
- Flavor Flav arrested in Las Vegas on allegations of DUI, marijuana possession, speeding
- Jana Kramer From One Tree Hill & Michael Caussin Are Married—See Their Gorgeous Wedding Photo!
- Chris Pratt Is Already Apologizing for Anything Offensive He Might Say During Jurassic World Press Tour: ''I Am Just Dumb''
- Brantley Gilbert Talks New Music and Marrying The One Who Almost Got Away