New Travolta Pregnancy Sparks Scientology Rumors
By PopEater Staff Posted May 21st 2010 09:18AM
The New York Post reported this week that that the 47-year-old Preston and Travolta, 56, were inspired to have another child so that Jett's spirit could live on, which is a common belief in the Scientology religion.
"The whole ethos of Scientology is that we come back. With Sea Org [the sect's upper echelon], they ask members to sign billion-year contracts. Their motto is 'We Come Back.' It makes sense that the Travoltas would have another baby after losing Jett,' former Scientologist Michael Pattinson told the New York Post.
Jett Travolta died in January 2009 after suffering a seizure while on vacation with the family in the Bahamas. Jett suffered from autism throughout his life, a fact that the Travoltas admitted only after his death.
Amy Scobee, a Scientologist who left the church after 27 years and was the head of celebrity recruiting for the Church (read our interview with Scobee) tells PopEater that "it is generally believed in Scientology that when a person dies, they will move on and select another body to begin a new life."
Still, she says that any "speculation" about whether or not this is the reason for the new child is "a private matter between John and Kelly."
Tommy Davis, a spokesperson for Scientology, holds a similar stance, telling the Post that while the Church believes "that when people pass away, the spirit leaves the body and moves to another body right away ... I wouldn't want to make any comment on the Travoltas and the passing of their son, but for someone to suggest such a thing sounds pretty reprehensible to me."
Scobee said during her time in Scientology, she met Travolta and Preston several times.
"I first met Kelly when she was pregnant with Jett. She was so excited to be having her first baby ... John and Kelly are both very caring and wonderful people, in my opinion. I am extremely happy for them that they are having another child, especially after the loss of Jett. I wish them the best."
John Travolta Pics
Actor John Travolta and wife actress Kelly Preston arrive at the Los Angeles Premiere "The Last Song" at ArcLight Cinemas on March 25, 2010 in Hollywood, California.
- Jennifer Aniston
- Paris Hilton
Kate Middleton is officially a princess. She walked the aisle in an Alexander...
According to Denise, she's not sure that her estranged ex is completely sober....
Popeater Hot Topics
- 'The Sound of Music' actress Eleanor Parker dies at 91
- Break Time: 'Fifty Shades of Grey' inspires racy lingerie line
- Candace Cameron Bure: 'I'm not going to get naked, and I'm not going to have sex scenes'
- Actress Eleanor Parker Dies at 91
- NBC Commits to Another Live Musical Production in 2014
- 'Fifty Shades of Grey' Casts Anastasia's Stepfather Ray Steele
- ?Time' 2013 Person of the Year finalists: Miley Cyrus, President Obama among top 10
- ?Super Mario 3D World' review: The portly plumber's latest is totally pawesome
- ?Real Housewives of Atlanta': What should Kandi do? POLL
- And the 10 Most Overpaid Actors Are...
- 'Wolf of Wall Street' Has Far More Profanity Than 'Raging Bull,' Says Martin Scorsese
- 'Pompeii' Movie: 10 Things to Know About the 3D Historical Disaster Film