The Biz: Jaslene Gonzalez, Model
By Ben Widdicombe Posted May 22nd 2010 08:45AM
The 23-year-old, who was born in Puerto Rico and grew up in Chicago, had just returned from working in Asia when PopEater caught up with her in New York.
"I love the travel that comes with my job," Gonzalez said. "I just came back from Thailand, Singapore, Hong Kong. It can be hard, long days, but I love it."
Gonzalez wanted to show other young women who may be considering a career in the industry what goes on during a typical day in a model's life.
It was an almost eight-hour day for Jaslene and the crew, and here is her video diary for PopEater.
In a photo studio located inside New York's west side piers, Gonzalez was working with young photographer Elle Muliarchyk taking images to update her model portfolio. Rather than shoot for a particular client, she would be wearing a selection of different outfits to include in the book that is shown to magazines or companies who may consider hiring her.
It was a long day, with almost two hours of hair and make-up even before trying on the first dress. An assistant used a portable steamer to get wrinkles out of the outfits while Jaslene sat a few feet away in the make-up chair.
"You have to have a lot of patience for this," Jaslene joked.
Meanwhile, Muliarchyk explained the concept she had come up with for the shoot. She had been inspired by a science report on a jellyfish which is considered immortal, since the species had worked out how to revert its cells back to their juvenile form.
She showed Jaslene images of the jellyfish on her camera, and explained that she had selected several diaphanous outfits so that the model could channel the sea-creature for photographs.
Three tips from Jaslene for young people who may want to develop modeling skills of their own:
1. Keep it natural: beauty from within is a common trait and we want to be relateable.
2. Have fun and play with fashion! Show your happy side always.
3. Practice in the mirror! Learn how to make atleast twelve different facial expression without moving your lips!
- Jennifer Aniston
- Paris Hilton
Kate Middleton is officially a princess. She walked the aisle in an Alexander...
According to Denise, she's not sure that her estranged ex is completely sober....
Popeater Hot Topics
- Real Housewives of Orange County Season 9: Meet the New Housewives Elizabeth "Lizzie" Rovsek and Shannon Beador
- Bachelor Juan Pablo's Obscene Comment to Clare Crawley, Celebs React to His Pick: Top Stories
- Simon Cowell's Girlfriend Lauren Silverman Shows Off Post-Baby Body in Sheer Top: See the Look!
- ?Real Housewives Of Beverly Hills' Is Too Fake! Producers Want New Cast Members To Be REAL Friends With The Ladies
- Break Time: Khloe Kardashian shows Lamar Odom what he's missing
- Mariska Hargitay works to get backlog of rape tests in Detroit processed
- FOX411's pic of the day
- The Originals Shocker: Star Claire Holt Exiting the Series—Find Out What Happened to Rebekah!
- Real Housewives of New York's Shocking Confession, Glee's Tear-Jerking Nationals Performance and More OMG TV Moments
- Juan Pablo Galavis Releases Video Montage of His Best Moments With Nikki Ferrell from The Bachelor and Beyond—Watch Now!