Simon Monjack Died from a 'Broken Heart,' Says Rep
By PopEater Staff Posted May 26th 2010 10:39AM
"Simon needed a [heart] bypass. I was told he needed a bypass, and I said to him, 'Simon, you have so much going on, let's keep you healthy.' I said, 'You want to be healthy. Don't you?' He said yes, but he said, 'The bypass can wait,'" his rep, Roger Neal, told PEOPLE.
Back in January, Monjack admitted on 'The Today Show' that he had suffered a minor heart attack in November -- just weeks before Murphy died. He was rushed to a hospital after his plane landed at LAX from Puerto Rico. When EMTs boarded the plane, Monjack was incoherent.
While the physical health issues were present, his rep claims Monjack also died from a "broken heart." Back in January, Monjack spoke about how Murphy's death turned his life upside down. "My world was destroyed yesterday," Monjack told Access Hollywood.
During a segment this week on the 'Today Show,' PEOPLE's J.D. Heyman said, "[Monjack] was completely and utterly focused" on Murphy and "in some ways, he was incredibly broken-hearted and this was a loss he couldn't absorb."
When Murphy died suddenly on Dec. 20, suspicions were raised about her husband. Bloggers attacked the man who married the 'Clueless' star, nicknaming him 'Conjack' and implicating him in his wife's death. Monjack -- who penned and produced 2006's 'Factory Girl' -- wed Murphy in 2007 in a small, private ceremony at their house. The marriage seemed to come out of nowhere, as the couple never announced their engagement and rarely made public appearances together. Their nuptials came amid a swirl of controversy, as he split from his ex-wife just months before marrying Murphy.
But the British screenwriter and producer did a series of interviews that showed he'd been wrongly portrayed as the bad guy. "I've been grieving for my wife at the same time I'm reading on the Internet crazy stories like I robbed old women of their pensions," he told The Daily Beast in January.
According to Los Angeles County Assistant Chief Coroner Ed Winter, no illegal drugs were found in Monjack's home at the time of his death. "If you're going to check out, I don't think you have going what he had going," Neal said. "He was on heart medication. He knew his situation but put himself to the side because he wanted to fulfill that last part of the legacy for Brittany."
"I don't believe he had an overdose ... As far as empty bottles, I don't know anything about that. If you have a heart condition, you're going to have prescription medication for yourself. You're going to be on some kind of medicine," Neal added.
Monjack's death is currently under investigation, and the official cause of death is pending autopsy results.
Recently Departed Celebrities
Simon Monjack, May 23: The British screenwriter died in the same house where his wife, Brittany Murphy, died in December. His death is under investigation. Monjack was 40.
David Livingston, Getty Images
David Livingston, Getty Images
Recently Departed Celebs
- Jennifer Aniston
- Paris Hilton
Kate Middleton is officially a princess. She walked the aisle in an Alexander...
According to Denise, she's not sure that her estranged ex is completely sober....
Popeater Hot Topics
- '19 Kids and Counting' star Jill Duggar pregnant with first child
- Lindsay Lohan's credit card declined during big night out, report says
- Emmys promo spoofs ?Pawn Stars'
- Kirk Douglas Remembers Lauren Bacall: She Was My "Lucky Charm"
- 'If I Stay' Stars and Author Defend Movie as More Than Another YA Tale
- Bear Grylls Lands New Discovery Networks Series (Exclusive)
- See Mark Wahlberg with the real Turtle and Johnny Drama (in China)
- Lindsay Lohan posts selfie with Tina Fey during EW's ?Mean Girls' reunion
- The Rock is starring in DC's ?Shazam'? as the villain? An investigation
- Best of Late Night TV: Pierce Brosnan Fails at 'GoldenEye 007,' Chloe Grace Moretz Fakes Cello (VIDEO)
- Let's Rank the 'Saved By the Bell' Very Special Episodes (VIDEO)
- Julianne Hough May Return to 'Dancing With the Stars'... as a Judge