Dane Cook Slams 'Weirdo' Ian Benardo, 'Idol' Crasher
By Marc Schneider Posted May 27th 2010 09:47AM
The episode came during a song called 'Simon Said,' in which Cook put some of Cowell's best zingers to music. Near the end of the tune, a bevy of 'Idol' rejects appeared onstage and that's when Benardo creeped up and took over. "Who cares? It's all about Ian Benardo tonight!" he announced. "I'm going to replace you, Simon Cowell! No one has a thing to say about you, just me."
On his Twitter page, Cook railed against Benardo for interrupting him. "That was not staged. Weirdo hijacked the song," he said. "Just glad he didn't hit me in the face w/ the mic or American Idol would be American Beatdown."
But Benardo wasn't the only 'Idol' has-been to hijack Cook's little ditty. As the Bronx native was working his "weirdo" magic, another prancing reject, Tatiana Del Toro, tried to commandeer the mic. Mind you, while all this was happening, a confused-looking Cook continued strumming his guitar.
"Nobody cares about you," Benardo told Del Toro. "It's all about Ian Benardo, and I want to say I'm replacing you, Simon Cowell, because I'm more entertaining than you!"
At that, 'Idol' producers ordered the cameras to pan away and the show quickly cut to commercial.
Cook later called Benardo a "F***face" for the stunt and said despite the interruption, Cowell still "loved" the song.
Benardo auditioned for season 7 of 'Idol,' and quickly became a hit with his over-the-top bravado and chinchilla scarf. Cowell was particularly hard on him, and Benardo threatened to look into the Brit's work visa status. One of his finer boasts: "You can ask one of my therapists. I am a superstar."
More: Paula's Goodbye | Lee's Single | Where Was David Cook? | Bret on 'Idol' | Complete Coverage
American Idol 2010
In this photo provided by PictureGroup, contestant Crystal Bowersox performs at the American Idol Season 9 Top 2 Performance Show at the Nokia Theatre on May 25, 2010 in Los Angeles. (AP Photo/Michael Becker/FOX/PictureGroup)
- Jennifer Aniston
- Paris Hilton
Kate Middleton is officially a princess. She walked the aisle in an Alexander...
According to Denise, she's not sure that her estranged ex is completely sober....
Popeater Hot Topics
- Wal-Mart claims Tracy Morgan, fellow passengers weren't wearing seatbelts in crash
- Amanda Bynes arrested on DUI charge
- 'Django' actress says she didn't cooperate with police because of racial profiling at 16
EW.COMFEEDMore From EW.com Li
- Extra Scoop: Walmart Faults Tracy Morgan for Not Wearing Seat Belt
- Robert Pattinson's GF ?Shocked' by Twihard Backlash
- Video! 'Extra' at the 'Gone Girl' Premiere with Ben Affleck, Reese Witherspoon and Others
- The Blacklist Recap: Red Reddington Gets Ruthless to Save His Wife
- Dancing With the Stars Season 19 Movie Night Recap: Two Perfect Scores, One Surprising Elimination
- Jason Derulo Not on "Good Terms" With Jordin Sparks Post-Split; Amanda Bynes Arrested for Second DUI: Top 5 Stories