Yes, There Are Amicable Splits in Hollywood
By Jo Piazza Posted Jun 2nd 2010 08:00PM
This week, Al and Tipper Gore announced that they would be separating after 40 years of marriage! 40 years! That's like 1,278 in famous person years. Some critics are even wondering, why bother to divorce after so long? Why not just stick it out?
That's a terribly fatalistic opinion. These two healthy baby boomers could live 40 more years and maybe they want to do that alone or with someone new.
News pundits were also quick to jump to conclusions about what ended the marriage, looking for something salacious or Edwardsian (same thing).
They're looking because we just aren't used to a mutual amicable split. But they do happen.
"For as many couples that stick it out, others split. Life is short, and some couples choose to experience life in a new way (apart), rather than simply existing in a ho-hum relationship for the sake of staying together. When trust, honesty, love (although not being in love) and other characteristics exist, couples can part amicably, as they likely want the best for each other," explains relationship and sex expert Amy Levine, M.A.
Just last year, we saw Hollywood royalty Susan Sarandon and Tim Robbins split up amicably after a 21 year partnership.
They may not have been together as long, but Bruce Willis and Demi Moore, who divorced after 3 kids and 13 years of marriage have become the Hollywood poster couple for the friendly breakup.
They spend holidays together and Bruce even hangs out with Demi's new husband, Ashton Kutcher. It seems weird because it is such an anomaly. But in these cases, age, wisdom, maturity and a shared past have actually made the break easier than it would have been if the partners were younger.
"Age can work in your favor! Usually two people who started out together at a young age and are close to the same age and then just grew apart have amicable breakups because it took time for them to cause a divide," explains Match.com relationship expert Whitney Casey. Casey says that a couple who has been together longer also knows how to communicate better with one another so it's easier for them to express their feelings during the break.
We wish Al and Tipper all the best in this new part of their lives and hope they set an example for others to follow. Oh and Tipper, give us a ring. We have a hot uncle to set you up with.
PopScene: Week's Hottest Pics
Quinton "Rampage" Jackson, Bradley Cooper, Jessica Biel and Sharlto Copley pose for photographers during "The A-Team" photo call in Mexico City.
Victor Chavez, WireImage
Victor Chavez, WireImage
- Jennifer Aniston
- Paris Hilton
Kate Middleton is officially a princess. She walked the aisle in an Alexander...
According to Denise, she's not sure that her estranged ex is completely sober....
Popeater Hot Topics
- Digital Cannes: Meet the IMDb guy ? Colin Needham
- Documentary 'Doin' it in the Park' is a loving ode to New York playground basketball
- Cannes prostitutes can make $40,000 ? a night?
- Cannes: Phase 4 Takes 'Free Ride' Starring Anna Paquin
- Cannes: Alexandra Maria Lara Joins All-Star Cast for German Kids Book Adaptation
- Cannes: Russia's Glavkino Backs Pyotr Buslov's 'Flip-Out'
EW.COMFEEDMore From EW.com Li
- Brandi Glanville Claims She Hooked Up With Gerard Butler
- Charlie Sheen Talks Ladies – Onscreen & Off
- Jonah Hill ‘Overwhelmed’ By ‘Moneyball’ Supporting Actor Nomination
- Beyonce Pregnant Again? Sources Confirm 'Epic' Star Is Carrying Baby No. 2
- 'Hangover 3' Red Band Trailer: Take a Walk Down a NSFW Memory Lane (VIDEO)
- Why 'Man of Steel' Didn't Use 'Superman' in the Title