Ken Jeong's Touching Tribute to Wife at MTV Awards
By PopEater Staff Posted Jun 7th 2010 12:06PM
But then something beautiful happened, and viewers got to see some raw, tender emotion at an awards show known less for its awards than for the sometimes-shocking events that tend to transpire on stage. After thanking fans, Jeong quickly turned the focus to his wife, Tran, and his body quaked and tears welled as he honored her winning battle against breast cancer.
"I want to take the opportunity to thank my wife, Tran, Todd [Phillips, 'Hangover' director] and Bradley Cooper," he said, adding that his friends "helped me through a really difficult time when my wife, Tran, was going through breast cancer treatment."
He then revealed that it was his wife who encouraged him to take the breakout role. "The reason why I did this, she taught me that life is short and that don't be afraid to take chances," he said. "And I just wanted to say that Tran has been cancer free for two years. I love you!"
The camera panned back-and-forth to Jeong's wife, and she glowed as he spoke from the heart. Ken and Tran have two children and, like the actor, she is a licensed doctor.
Backstage, Jeong, 40, continued the love fest.
"She is the brave one and just my best friend, my inspiration," he said. "I'm just really grateful ... I was just celebrating her. This whole night is about celebrating her."
Jeong's heartfelt outburst was a rarity for MTV, which normally relies on shocking displays (Sandra kissing Scarlett) and naughty language (F-bombs ran rampant) to fill the time slot. Awards -- and by extension, acceptance speeches -- are an afterthought.
That said, Jeong was actually part of one of the night's other standout moments. As he pranced around in a tiger-striped onesie-thong, Tom Cruise (as Les Grossman) emerged to rock the crowd with a three-minute booty-shakin' performance. Watch It Here
Ken Jeong Snapshots
Ed Helms and Ken Jeong do their thing at the MTV Movie Awards on June 6. More Ken Shots >>
Getty Images North America
- Jennifer Aniston
- Paris Hilton
Kate Middleton is officially a princess. She walked the aisle in an Alexander...
According to Denise, she's not sure that her estranged ex is completely sober....
Popeater Hot Topics
- Polish town bans Winnie the Pooh mascot from playground for being hermaphrodite
- Bill Cosby's lawyer issues statement on rape allegations
- Bill Cosby's Florida standup performance greeted with standing ovation
- CW Reality Chief Kristen Connolly Vadas Exits (Exclusive)
- Bill Cosby Finds Protesters and Supporters at Florida Stand-Up Show
- Why Queen Latifah's Reign in Syndication Is Ending
- 'Hunger Games: Mockingjay - Part 1' Family Review: 5 Things Every Parent Should Know
- 'Pirates of the Caribbean 5' Snags Brenton Thwaites, Possibly Javier Bardem
- Meryl Streep Slays 'Stay With Me' in 'Into the Woods' (VIDEO)