Parents Unhappy as F-Bombs Fly at MTV Movie Awards
By Jo Piazza Posted Jun 7th 2010 05:00PM
If you thought you were watching HBO or premium cable during the MTV Movie Awards on Sunday night, it was an honest mistake. So many f-bombs haven't been dropped on television since 'The Sopranos' went off the air.
The bleeped-out naughty words were a near constant during the two-hour awards show aimed at teenagers. But the bleeping was inconsistent and on several occasions the f-word came through loud and clear.
On the East Coast live feed, Jonah Hill, Diddy and Mark Wahlberg all managed to slip f- and s-bombs through the bleeps. Host Aziz Ansari repeatedly said f-this and f-that, but because his monologues were, for the most part, scripted, the censors knew when to hit the bleep.
But the most potty-mouthed star of all was 'Twilight' patriarch Peter Facinelli, who accepted the Best Film award for 'New Moon' and used his moment on stage to use so much foul language the censors could hardly keep up.
Facinelli, a father of three daughters, prefaced his speech by saying, "I've never heard the word f*** used so many times in one evening," and then managed to use it a dozen more times.
The Parents Television Council, a non-profit advocacy group, is obviously up in arms over the program.
"We are very angry at what we think was not just an entertainment show gone blue but a verbal assault on families," says PTC President Tim Winter. "I think this is exactly what MTV wants and I think it is outrageous that in order to get channels like the Disney Channel, ESPN and CNN you are forced to pay a monthly fee."
MTV warned that the show should only be viewed by television watchers 14 and up, a fact that Winters says completely disrespects the television ratings system.
"It is an outrage to the content rating system. If it had been a motion picture, it would have been rated R. The fact that it was rated 14 shows what little respect MTV and Viacom have for the content ratings," Winter said (not once dropping any f-bombs, despite his ire).
MTV has always tried to push the envelope with their awards shows, but this year, as their ratings have dwindled, it seems that they crossed new boundaries of offensiveness.
"I do think it was a bit excessive this year. Some of it came from the script, like having an WTF moment category, whose presentation delivered a large portion of the night's f-words. But it also felt like it was one of those things that emerge as a recurring theme at an awards show and everyone feels compelled to keep it going," says Deadline Hollywood television writer Nellie Andreeva, who wrote about the excessive foul language this morning.
Today cannot be a rewarding day for middle school teachers across the country, many of whom have no doubt been exposed to many a "I'm so f***ing happy 'Twilight' f***ing won!" throughout the day today.
2010 MTV Movie Awards Photos
'The Hills' starlet Audrina Patridge is seen in a shimmering silver gown as she arrives for the 2010 MTV Movie Awards. Click to See Who's There and What They're Wearing >>>
Jason Merritt, Getty Images
Jason Merritt, Getty Images
MTV Movie Awards Red Carpet
- Jennifer Aniston
- Paris Hilton
Kate Middleton is officially a princess. She walked the aisle in an Alexander...
According to Denise, she's not sure that her estranged ex is completely sober....
Popeater Hot Topics
- Tom Brady Pouts and Whines to Get Gisele Bundchen's Attention at Home
- Celebrity Nude Photo Leak: Apple Denies iCloud Breach in Statement About Stolen Pictures
- Kim Kardashian Wears Sexy See-Through Skirt, Packs on the PDA With Kanye West
- In The Midst Of Drugging Scandal, TBS Cancels Cee Lo Green’s ‘The Good Life’
- ?RHOC' Casting Shakeup! Bravo ?Actively Casting' Tamra's Replacement After Drama-Filled Season ? Execs Want A ?Voice Of Reason,' Says Source
- Joan Rivers Remains On Life Support Despite Reports She Would Be Taken Out Of Coma
- Alleged hacked McKayla Maroney pics banned from Reddit; site says she would be underage in them
- Justin Bieber charged with assault, Ontario police say
- Miranda Lambert, Blake Shelton reportedly turn down $1 million Las Vegas show deal
- Spoiler Chat: Scoop on Once Upon a Time, Sons of Anarchy, Game of Thrones, The Originals and More!
- Kim Kardashian and Kanye West Enjoy Date Night at GQ Awards in London: See the Cute PDA Pics!
- Cara Delevingne & Kate Moss' Nearly Naked Burberry Campaign is Here—Check it Out!