After Limbaugh Ambush, Gawker Eyes Rudy Giuliani
By PopEater Staff Posted Jun 7th 2010 05:08PM
Rush Limbaugh tied the knot for the fourth time this past weekend, and while the right-wing radio mogul and pals like Sean Hannity and Karl Rove celebrated in Palm Springs, the folks over at Gawker wanted to send their wedding wishes to Rush. They did so with a flying banner based on one lucky reader's comment with the message "Rush: Congrats On Your 4th Marriage XO Gawker," taking a subtle jab at Limbaugh's frequent trips to the altar. PopEater spoke with Gawker about how their stunt came to be, and also who else should be on the lookout -- including one former New York City mayor.
In the run-up to the event, Gawker ran a post soliciting for comments, one of which would be featured on the plane-based banner. The suggestions came pouring in, and while many directly poked fun at the fact that this was Rush's fourth time at the altar (see: "Get 20% Off Your Next Marriage + Free Shrimp" and "Wishing You Months of Bliss"), the winner was subtlety defined.
Gawker explained the reasoning for the simple choice, saying, "Many of the messages we liked were too controversial for the pilot we hired to fly the banner over Palm Beach. (He lives there and has a business to run, and he was skittish about pissing off everyone in town.) Many others referenced Limbaugh's years-old prescription drug arrest, which seemed like a bit of a cheap shot no matter how clever they were, or how much he might deserve it."
Speaking with PopEater, Gawker's Editor-in-Chief, Remy Stern, said they hatched the plan just days before the wedding. The quick scheme then had to be changed at the last-minute, because "on Friday night, we heard it was going to take place at The Breakers, so we had to give the pilot new instructions on Saturday morning. We asked him to fly over the hotel, Rush's house, and up and down the beach, though, just to be on the safe side."
So why did they go so lightly with the message after going through such lengths for the stunt? Stern tells Popeater that they "figured something very simple and subtle would work best. But maybe we'll go with something more provocative for his fifth trip down the aisle."
So who's next in Gawker's wedding scope? It turns out, he was at Rush's wedding!
"One of the guests on hand for Rush's wedding was former New York City mayor Rudy Giuliani, and we realized that he's been married three times now, his first name is four characters long, and it begins with the letter "R". We're thinking we should keep the banner since we'll only have to change three letters to congratulate him on his fourth wedding," Stern tells PopEater.
PopScene: Week's Hottest Pics
Christina Aguilera arrives at the 2010 MTV Movie Awards.
PopScene: Weeks Hottest Pics
- Jennifer Aniston
- Paris Hilton
Kate Middleton is officially a princess. She walked the aisle in an Alexander...
According to Denise, she's not sure that her estranged ex is completely sober....
Popeater Hot Topics
- Britney Spears Heads out for Date Night with David Lucado, Shows off Skinny Waist
- Ariana Grande Heartbroken Over Grandpa's Death, Sobs as Brother Frankie Grande Gets the News in Big Brother House
- Naya Rivera Secretly Married Ryan Dorsey on Her Original Wedding Date to Big Sean; Kim Kardashian Shares Sexy Bikini Picture: Top 5 Wednesday Stories
RadarOnline.comFEEDMore News at Radar Online Li
- Celebrity scale: Skinny or curvy?
- Jessica Biel will butt heads with Zooey Deschanel on 'New Girl'
- Ariana Grande's grandfather dies, starlet reportedly hid news from brother
- Lucy Hale Stops by So You Think You Can Dance, 2 More House Guests Hit the Block on Big Brother & More OMG TV Moments
- Is Justin Bieber Dropping a New Album?! Singer Teases 11 New Songs on Instagram—Listen Now!
- Ariana Grande's Brother, Frankie Grande, Finds Out About Grandpa's Passing in Big Brother House