Ricky Martin Livin' 'Evita' Loca on Broadway
By PopEater / Wire Services Posted Jun 10th 2010 06:00AM
Ricky Martin is heading to the stage -- this time for 'Evita' on Broadway. In the first new Broadway production of the Tony Award-winning musical since its 1979 New York debut, Martin will play the character Che. "I've been blessed with the opportunity to perform on many of the world's largest concert stages, but I've never lost my love for the intimacy of the theater," Martin said in a statement Wednesday.
The show's producers also announced that Argentine actress Elena Roger will star as Evita, a role she played on the London stage in 2006 to critical acclaim.
The Tim Rice-Andrew Lloyd Webber musical dramatizes the life of Eva Peron, Argentina's glamorous and controversial first lady.
The revival of 'Evita' is scheduled to open in spring 2012. Michael Grandage will direct, with choreography by Rob Ashford.
Ricky Martin Snapshots
Ricky Martin speaks onstage during the 2010 amfAR New York Inspiration Gala at The New York Public Library on June 3, 2010 in New York. More photos >>
Getty Images North America
2010 AOL LLC. All Rights Reserved. Copyright 2009 The Associated Press. The information contained in the AP news report may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or otherwise distributed without the prior written authority of The Associated Press. Active hyperlinks have been inserted by AOL.
- Jennifer Aniston
- Paris Hilton
Kate Middleton is officially a princess. She walked the aisle in an Alexander...
According to Denise, she's not sure that her estranged ex is completely sober....
Popeater Hot Topics
- 'Hunger Games' scores year's biggest opening with $123M
- Bill Cosby controversy: A decade in the making
- Robin Williams' son remembers his dad and Christopher Reeve's friendship
- Cameron Diaz hosts ?Saturday Night Live' this weekend ? talk about it here!
- You can now buy the original ?Wizard of Oz' Cowardly Lion costume ? if you're a millionaire
- This Week on Stage: Hugh Jackman, Glenn Close and ?Side Show' storm Broadway's busiest fall week
- Mike Nichols' Death: Grieving Diane Sawyer Steps Out; Celebs Pay Respects
- ?SNL' Recap: Cameron Diaz Raps Like a ?Baller,' Bruno Mars Gets Funky and More!
- Stephen Amell and Grant Gustin Tease 'The Flash' and 'Arrow' Crossover Episodes
- AMAs Red Carpet Roundup: Jennifer Lopez, Fergie Sizzle on the Red Carpet, While Ansel Elgort, Frankie J. Take Huge Fashion Risks
- Ariana Grande Jazzes Up the 2014 American Music Awards With Smooth Performance of "Problem," "Love Me Harder"
- Lorde Thrashes Around, Gives Energetic Performance of "Yellow Flicker Beat" at 2014 AMAs: Watch Now, Plus Taylor Swift's Audience Dancing!