Ricky Martin Livin' 'Evita' Loca on Broadway
By PopEater / Wire Services Posted Jun 10th 2010 06:00AM
Ricky Martin is heading to the stage -- this time for 'Evita' on Broadway. In the first new Broadway production of the Tony Award-winning musical since its 1979 New York debut, Martin will play the character Che. "I've been blessed with the opportunity to perform on many of the world's largest concert stages, but I've never lost my love for the intimacy of the theater," Martin said in a statement Wednesday.
The show's producers also announced that Argentine actress Elena Roger will star as Evita, a role she played on the London stage in 2006 to critical acclaim.
The Tim Rice-Andrew Lloyd Webber musical dramatizes the life of Eva Peron, Argentina's glamorous and controversial first lady.
The revival of 'Evita' is scheduled to open in spring 2012. Michael Grandage will direct, with choreography by Rob Ashford.
Ricky Martin Snapshots
Ricky Martin speaks onstage during the 2010 amfAR New York Inspiration Gala at The New York Public Library on June 3, 2010 in New York. More photos >>
Getty Images North America
2010 AOL LLC. All Rights Reserved. Copyright 2009 The Associated Press. The information contained in the AP news report may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or otherwise distributed without the prior written authority of The Associated Press. Active hyperlinks have been inserted by AOL.
- Jennifer Aniston
- Paris Hilton
Kate Middleton is officially a princess. She walked the aisle in an Alexander...
According to Denise, she's not sure that her estranged ex is completely sober....
Popeater Hot Topics
- 'Honey Boo Boo's' Mama June: I'm not dating child sex offender
- CBS cuts 'CSI' season short
- Pretty stars who go gritty on film
- Aaron Paul takes on Toys ?R' Us after ?Breaking Bad' toys are pulled
- The 5 most interesting facts about ?Super Smash Bros. for Wii U'
- Extra Scoop: Chrissy Teigen Quits Twitter over Canadian Terror Attack Tweet
- New Couple Alert Averted? Orlando Bloom Denies He's Dating Selena Gomez
- 'Extra' Trend Spotter: Active Styles from New Balance!