Boys Like Girls Bring It All Home in 'Heart Heart Heartbreak' Video
By Linda Laban Posted Jun 11th 2010 05:15PM
The setting for Boys Like Girls' new video for the hi-energy pop rocker 'Heart Heart Heartbreak' might seem simple enough. The clip pairs the Boston-based band with a bevy of glamorous girls at a fictitious beauty pageant. However, there's a huge dose of good-humored irony as the quartet pokes a little fun with both the ideals of beauty and their own roots. Check the sashes that the girls are wearing: those are all real Massachusetts towns and four nod to where the band members -- singer Martin Johnson, guitarist Paul DiGiovanni, bassist Bryan Donahue, and drummer John Keefe -- grew up, far from the big lights of Boston and even further away from the glamorous life of rock and roll.
"We tried to get in all our hometowns. John got Mansfield in there, Ryan got Wrentham, Paul got Leominster, I got Andover," Johnson tells PopEater. Boys Like Girls are finishing up the Bamboozle Roadshow tour and promoting their second album 'Love Drunk,' which was released last fall. "I'm not judging anybody, but this is a funny stab at some of the towns that we are from. We thought it would be fun for our family and friends."
The video's storyline -- the girls play mean tricks on each other to try to win the pageant -- was inspired by the band's recent performance at the Miss USA 2010 contest. "We played the bikini portion of the contest. We extended 'Heart Heart Heartbreak' for eight minutes and played while the girls were walking around," Johnsons says. "Simultaneously, we were figuring out what would work for the video. We were kinda like, 'Let's do a crazy beauty pageant gone slightly white trash.' We thought it would be cool, because we were able to showcase everything you want to see in a rock 'n' roll video: The band rocking out, good-looking women, cat fighting, the female dark side, which definitely exists."
- Jennifer Aniston
- Paris Hilton
Kate Middleton is officially a princess. She walked the aisle in an Alexander...
According to Denise, she's not sure that her estranged ex is completely sober....
Popeater Hot Topics
- 'X-Men' director calls sex abuse lawsuit a shakedown
- FOX411's pic of the day
- James Franco on his 'intimate' selfies: 'It's not like I'm exposing myself'
EW.COMFEEDMore From EW.com Li
- Extra Scoop: Lindsay Lohan Dodges Sobriety Questions, Gives Pole Dancing Lesson
- Cute or Ew? 'Orange Is the New Black' Sneak Peek Reveals Piper's New Pastime in Solitary
- Clare Crawley Has a Message for ?Bachelor' Juan Pablo
- Justin Bieber Finally Allowed to Leave LAX After Being Detained
- Pregnant Mila Kunis Takes a Pilates Class, New Mom Olivia Wilde Tweets About Baby Peeing In Face: Top 5 Thursday Stories
- Jodie Foster Flashes Wedding Ring After Secretly Tying the Knot With Girlfriend Alexandra Hedison: Picture