John Goodman Looks Better Than Ever!
By PopEater Staff Posted Jun 11th 2010 01:01PM
John Goodman showed up at a red carpet event last night [above right] looking fitter and healthier than ever. He was significantly heavier as recently as October 2009 [above left, in Germany]. The 'Big Lebowski' and 'Roseanne' star turns 58 on June 20.
Congrats on the weight loss, John! Tell us your secret!
"For almost all his life [Goodman] has also been overweight, and his acting draws on both the genuine status that comes with being big, and the stigma that comes with being fat," the New York Times reported in 1991 in a piece called 'Being the Big Guy.' "Being big can make his characters heroic, being fat can make them tragic, or at the least, give them one more cross to bear."
The weight loss has Entertainment Weekly fretting Goodman may not be able to reprise his iconic character Walter Sobchak if the Coen Brothers ever elect to pen a sequel to their cult classic 'The Big Lebowski.'
London's Daily Mail reports a photo of Goodman in 2008, filming 'Confessions of a Shopaholic,' prompted fiery controversy about his weight. Tabloid The Globe wrote a piece titled '400-lb Goodman eating himself to death,' which delved into friends' concerns about his habits.
The '91 Times piece went into great detail about Goodman's history and feelings about weight:
In 2009, during a New York City theater stint, Goodman said alcohol -- specifically Jack Daniels -- nearly ruined his memory. "I had a 30-year run, and at the end I didn't care about anything," he told the New York Times of his drinking. "I was just fed up with myself. I didn't even want to be an actor anymore.""While Goodman is far more of a big man than a fat one, he's always seen it the other way around. He saw magazine polls a couple years ago listing him among America's sexiest men as an effort 'to taunt the poor boy.' And when Anna Elizabeth Hartzog, at the time 19 years old, approached him during the shooting of 'Everybody's All-American,' Goodman was so convinced this very pretty college student couldn't be interested in him that he was rude. They were married two years later."
Goodman finds all praise of his dancing and grace insultingly condescending. 'Yeah, for a fat guy,' he says when complimented about it. 'Right, like watching the elephants in 'Fantasia,' and those hippos in their tutus. It's sad but true. A fat guy that moves around like that doesn't think of himself as primarily a fat guy moving around like that. He's just a guy trying to find the groove like anyone else.'"
John Goodman Snapshots
A slimmed-down John Goodman and Dame Helen Mirren pose at the AFI Life Achievement Award honoring Mike Nichols held June 10 in Culver City, Calif. More Photos of (Not As) Big Bad John >>
Getty Images for AFI
Getty Images North America
- Jennifer Aniston
- Paris Hilton
Kate Middleton is officially a princess. She walked the aisle in an Alexander...
According to Denise, she's not sure that her estranged ex is completely sober....
Popeater Hot Topics
- Susan Boyle says she has Asperger's syndrome
- Don Rickles recovering from flesh-eating disease
- Is ?Mandela: Long Walk to Freedom' a good way to learn about the life of Nelson Mandela?
- South Asian International Film Festival: 'Siddharth' Wins Grand Jury Prize
- Marrakech Fest: Paolo Sorrentino Reacts to European Film Awards Wins
- 'SNL' Recap: 'Anchorman 2' Cast Battles One Direction
- ?SNL' recap: Paul Rudd brings a parade of surprise guest stars ? VIDEO
- PopWatch Planner: ?Arrow', ?Scandal' mid-season finales, ?American Hustle' in theaters, more
- Paul Rudd and One Direction take on ?Saturday Night Live': Talk about it here!
- Another Very NSFW 'Nymphomaniac' Clip: Jamie Bell Is in the Giving Spirit (VIDEO)
- 'In Secret' Trailer: Oscar Isaac and Elizabeth Olsen Are Killer Lovers (VIDEO)
- 'Star Wars' Fans, Start Saving: Han Solo Gun to Go Up for Auction