John Goodman Looks Better Than Ever!
By PopEater Staff Posted Jun 11th 2010 01:01PM
John Goodman showed up at a red carpet event last night [above right] looking fitter and healthier than ever. He was significantly heavier as recently as October 2009 [above left, in Germany]. The 'Big Lebowski' and 'Roseanne' star turns 58 on June 20.
Congrats on the weight loss, John! Tell us your secret!
"For almost all his life [Goodman] has also been overweight, and his acting draws on both the genuine status that comes with being big, and the stigma that comes with being fat," the New York Times reported in 1991 in a piece called 'Being the Big Guy.' "Being big can make his characters heroic, being fat can make them tragic, or at the least, give them one more cross to bear."
The weight loss has Entertainment Weekly fretting Goodman may not be able to reprise his iconic character Walter Sobchak if the Coen Brothers ever elect to pen a sequel to their cult classic 'The Big Lebowski.'
London's Daily Mail reports a photo of Goodman in 2008, filming 'Confessions of a Shopaholic,' prompted fiery controversy about his weight. Tabloid The Globe wrote a piece titled '400-lb Goodman eating himself to death,' which delved into friends' concerns about his habits.
The '91 Times piece went into great detail about Goodman's history and feelings about weight:
In 2009, during a New York City theater stint, Goodman said alcohol -- specifically Jack Daniels -- nearly ruined his memory. "I had a 30-year run, and at the end I didn't care about anything," he told the New York Times of his drinking. "I was just fed up with myself. I didn't even want to be an actor anymore.""While Goodman is far more of a big man than a fat one, he's always seen it the other way around. He saw magazine polls a couple years ago listing him among America's sexiest men as an effort 'to taunt the poor boy.' And when Anna Elizabeth Hartzog, at the time 19 years old, approached him during the shooting of 'Everybody's All-American,' Goodman was so convinced this very pretty college student couldn't be interested in him that he was rude. They were married two years later."
Goodman finds all praise of his dancing and grace insultingly condescending. 'Yeah, for a fat guy,' he says when complimented about it. 'Right, like watching the elephants in 'Fantasia,' and those hippos in their tutus. It's sad but true. A fat guy that moves around like that doesn't think of himself as primarily a fat guy moving around like that. He's just a guy trying to find the groove like anyone else.'"
John Goodman Snapshots
A slimmed-down John Goodman and Dame Helen Mirren pose at the AFI Life Achievement Award honoring Mike Nichols held June 10 in Culver City, Calif. More Photos of (Not As) Big Bad John >>
Getty Images for AFI
Getty Images North America
- Jennifer Aniston
- Paris Hilton
Kate Middleton is officially a princess. She walked the aisle in an Alexander...
According to Denise, she's not sure that her estranged ex is completely sober....
Popeater Hot Topics
- Reba McEntire releases new song, 'Pray for Peace'
- EPA sends out tweet promoting Kim Kardashian game, apologizes for doing so
- Tim McGraw comments on altercation with female fan
- 'Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles' Debuts Wiz Khalifa-Led Rap Single, TV Spot (Video)
- Ukraine: Tycoon to Launch English-Language News Network
- Hannah John-Kamen Lands Lead in Space, Syfy 'Killjoys' Drama
- ?The Bachelorette: The Men Tell All': ?I had no idea you guys were kissing her so fast!'
- A serious attempt to understand Blake Lively's Goop-like website
- Dwayne Johnson maybe just revealed that he's playing a ?Justice League' superhero
- 'Wish I Was Here' Star Ashley Greene Wants You to Check Out These 5 TV Shows & Movies
- Best of Late Night TV: "Guardians of the Galaxy" Cast Takes Over Kimmel, Kate Hudson Plays Box of Lies (VIDEO)
- This 'You've Got To Be Kidding Me' Supercut Is One For The Ages