The Week in Pop Culture and the Oil Spill: Whoopi Goes Wild
By Zach Dionne Posted Jun 11th 2010 12:42PM
See the Whoopi clip here, and the rest of the shenanigans after jump:
Mike Mitchell, the artist behind the 'I'm With Coco' movement, posted a killer image, 'Portrait of a BP Exec,' this week [left], staying topical -- and wowing us with his work -- long after the Coco hubbub.
Kevin Costner, a tireless environmentalist who has dedicated years (and a fortune) to an armada of seawater-cleaning machines called Ocean Therapy, visited the House of Representatives to talk about his technology this week. "We are all at fault here. It's just too easy to blame BP," the actor said. "What we need to do now is come together."
While Costner, 55, didn't tout Ocean Therapy as a final solution to the gargantuan leak in the Gulf, he said, "What I can provide is a technology that is available immediately, a technology that will allow rigs to resume operation and put people back to work."
Earlier, Costner's business partner, John Houghtaling, called the machine "a big vacuum cleaner" that works from a barge and sucks up tons of polluted water, separates the oil and finishes with 97 percent clean water.
"I've lost $40 million-plus," Costner said. "But I knew that if I was right, it would change things in an incredibly positive way."
Comedy troupe the Upright Citizens Brigade got in on the action with a hilariously tongue-in-cheek video about BP executives dealing with a coffee spill on a conference table. Check it out [warning: foul language]:
Steven Colbert weighed in again, on the 48th day of the spill. "You know you're not showing enough emotion when you make Larry King look lively," he said of Barack Obama, going on to show the President how to appear "mad as hell."
|Oil's Well That Never Ends|
'Avatar' director James Cameron called BP morons ... then apologized, saying it was "out of context."
Twitterized oil spill satire master Michael Ian Black has also kept his hand in the fray:
Oh, and the oil spill killed Mario.
A Chat with the Guy Skewering BP on Twitter / What Celebs Are Doing, Saying About the Spill
- Jennifer Aniston
- Paris Hilton
Kate Middleton is officially a princess. She walked the aisle in an Alexander...
According to Denise, she's not sure that her estranged ex is completely sober....
Popeater Hot Topics
- Scandal Recap: The White House Embraces Gay Marriage As Cyrus Beene Says I Do
- McDonald's Launches Big Mac Fashion Collection, Because Who Doesn't Love Burgers?
- Billy Zane Jokes About Zayn Malik One Direction Tweets: "It's Z-A-N-E, Not Z-A-Y-N!"
- MSNBC apologizes for guest's inflammatory comment on country music
- Cate Blanchett loses patience with reporter
- Hope Solo: Dealing with a lot of my issues
- Khloé Kardashian and French Montana ''Acting Very Much as a Couple'' While Partying in Miami
- Nick Jonas Totally Gets Zayn Malik's Decision to Leave One Direction: It Was ''Time to Close a Chapter''
- What Does Juan Pablo Di Pace Think of His New "Hot Jesus" Title? Watch and Find Out!