Stars Catch Soccer Fever as World Cup Begins
The World Cup kicked off yesterday in South Africa, and celebrities are just as tuned in to the zeitgeist of "the beautiful game" as the rest of the world.
"The Energy out here is STAGGERING!!!!!" Alicia Keys tweeted from South Africa. "Unbelievable unbelievable unbelievable!! I have a true connection w South Africa!! thank u 4 ur love!
"I am a soccer fan, but the US-England is going to be incredible," Michael Douglas told the AP, referencing today's much-discussed match.
"I am born in America and I'm proud of it," will.i.am tweeted. "But if I had to represent a nation in the world cup it would be Brazil." The rapper also posted a TwitPic of himself and John Legend, who he said was "going crazy."
R. Kelly helped open the ceremonies, performing 'Sign of Victory' in a Johannesburg stadium:
England's Helen Mirren and her husband, American film director Taylor Hackford, joked with an AP reporter about the marital strife they might face during today's England vs. USA match. "I'm a major football fan and I hope we beat the U.K.," Hackford said. "I love Liverpool. That's my major team, you see. But I still have to root for my own country, don't I?
Shakira shared a photo on Twitter, showing her and Alicia Keys during the first match of the World Cup:
Weezer paid tribute to the World Cup with their futbol-fanatical video for 'Represent':
And of course, Shakira's video anthem of the World Cup, 'Waka Waka (This Time for Africa),' is still on fire:
Visit AOL's Fanhouse for complete World Cup coverage.
- Jennifer Aniston
- Paris Hilton
Kate Middleton is officially a princess. She walked the aisle in an Alexander...
According to Denise, she's not sure that her estranged ex is completely sober....
Popeater Hot Topics
- Christian music duo spreads God's message in debut album
- Alec Baldwin returning to TV as a host on Jan. 6 for TCM special
- 'Moonshiners' explain how they evade the law on national TV
- Jen Arnold Diagnosed With Rare Cancer: Little Couple Star Undergoing Surgery and Chemo
- Kelly Clarkson Talks Pregnancy Morning Sickness on Ellen: "I Vomit a Good Dozen Times a Day"
- Jennifer Lopez Files New Documents in Marc Anthony Divorce Two Years After Initial Split: Report
- Kirstie Alley Insists: ‘I Don’t Do Fillers Or Botox … You Don’t Know What It’s Gonna Do To You!’
- The Little Couple Heartbreak: Mom Jen Arnold Diagnosed With Cancer
- ‘Frantic Lunatic’ Bernie Madoff Called End-Of-Year Fraud On Clients ‘Schtupping,’ The Yiddish Term For ?