Old Spice Guy Isaiah Mustafa Locks Up Deal with NBC
By PopEater Staff Posted Jun 14th 2010 05:24PM
"He made such an impression in such a short spot," NBC Universal casting exec VP Grace Wu told Variety, citing his appearance on Oprah. "We felt he was a piece of talent worth developing. He's an attractive guy who's just as funny and charming."
PopEater readers voted Mustafa their favorite Old Spice Man through the ages -- he notched four times as many votes as Neil Patrick Harris, three times more than Bruce Campbell. Need a refresher? (Old Spice...refreshing...get it?) See the 30-second ad that notched more than 10 million YouTube views and may have landed Mustafa the keys to sitcom gold:
Mustafa's previous screentime was limited to bit roles on shows like 'Ugly Betty' and 'NCIS.'
"Wu said she plans to have Mustafa audition for spots on several of NBC's current and new series, as well as keep him in play for future pilots. The actor will first be geared toward sitcoms -- given the comedy chops he exhibited in those Old Spice spots," Variety reports, adding NBC hoped to have Mustafa act in one of this spring's new shows.
"I grew up in that 'Cosby Show,' 'Family Ties' era, and kept that going even through college with 'Seinfeld' and 'Friends,' " Mustafa said. "To me, they controlled comedy and dictated my life on Thursday nights. And I think that's my strength, doing comedy."
The actor also just wrapped a new Old Spice commercial which will air soon.
Prior to acting, the rising star did everything from playing receiver for the Seattle Seahawks to running a barbecue restaurant with his mother. "I've been doing this [acting] for eight years," said Mustafa. "And I'm still pushing hard. When this came out, it felt like my work had paid off."
Read more: The Old Spice Man Through the Ages
- Jennifer Aniston
- Paris Hilton
Kate Middleton is officially a princess. She walked the aisle in an Alexander...
According to Denise, she's not sure that her estranged ex is completely sober....
Popeater Hot Topics
- Jennifer Aniston, Sandra Bullock Become BFFs After Meeting at Gwyneth Paltrow's Party
- Michelle Rodriguez Gets Haircut and Bangs as Part of Her "New Look New Life New Vibe": Picture
- Queen Elizabeth II's Winning Racehorse Estimate Tested Positive For Banned Drug Morphine
- Every Dog Has His Day: Man Who Imprisoned Mentally Ill Woman & Her Daughter ? Threatening Her With Pit Bulls & Pythons ? Gets 30 Years In Federal Prison
- Jimmy Fallon & Dwayne Johnson’s Workout Videos
- Rachel McAdams Shines at Premiere of ‘A Most Wanted Man’ at the Museum of Modern Art
- Snoop Dogg: I smoked weed 'in the bathroom' at the White House
- 'Cheers' star Rhea Perlman will play Danny's mom on 'The Mindy Project'
- 'Downton Abbey' cast give some hints on Season 5