Vatican Recognizes 'Blues Brothers' as Catholic Film
By PopEater Staff Posted Jun 18th 2010 01:35PM
"This is a memorable film, and, judging by the facts, a Catholic one," the paper wrote. On the film's 30th anniversary, the Vatican devoted no less than five articles to the topic, Reuters reports.
The Vatican feels Jake's story -- his prison release and subsequent effort to reunite his blues band to save St. Helen of the Blessed Shroud Orphanage -- resembles the saga of Jesus.
"'A Catholic Film' was the title of a commentary by the top editor of L'Osservatore Romano, Gian Maria Vian, who has turned the once staid broadsheet into an often trendy and topical must-read," Politics Daily reports, noting another article was headlined 'On a Mission From God (and for cinema).'
See the famous line:
The New York Post notes that when 'The Blues Brothers' was released in 1980, the United States Conference of Catholic Bishops wrote, "The plot is interspersed with scenes of wholesale destruction and frenzied chases which are spectacularly unfunny and uninvolving."
The Vatican's newspaper, conversely, deems the film a "masterpiece," "incredibly shrewd" and "full of ideas," reports the National Catholic Register.
• Vatican Forgives Beatles, Ringo Says 'Don't Bother Me'
- Jennifer Aniston
- Paris Hilton
Kate Middleton is officially a princess. She walked the aisle in an Alexander...
According to Denise, she's not sure that her estranged ex is completely sober....
Popeater Hot Topics
- Documentary 'Doin' it in the Park' is a loving ode to New York playground basketball
- Cannes prostitutes can make $40,000 ? a night?
- Nicole Kidman plays Grace Kelly in movie set for 2014 Oscar season
- Cannes: Alanis Morissette Cast in Kickstarter Project
- Cannes: D Street Releasing Takes 'Jail Caesar'
- Cannes Washout: Rain Drenched Glamour on the Cote d'Azur
- This Week On Stage: Sigourney and Co. extend, Billy Crystal Back to Broadway
- ?Star Trek Into Darkness': Let's talk about that ending (and Benedict Cumberbatch)
- EW.com's 4th Annual Season Finale Awards: Nominations wanted!
- Brandi Glanville Claims She Hooked Up With Gerard Butler
- Charlie Sheen Talks Ladies – Onscreen & Off
- Jonah Hill ‘Overwhelmed’ By ‘Moneyball’ Supporting Actor Nomination
- Beyonce Pregnant Again? Sources Confirm 'Epic' Star Is Carrying Baby No. 2
- 'Hangover 3' Red Band Trailer: Take a Walk Down a NSFW Memory Lane (VIDEO)
- Why 'Man of Steel' Didn't Use 'Superman' in the Title