Vatican Recognizes 'Blues Brothers' as Catholic Film
By PopEater Staff Posted Jun 18th 2010 01:35PM
"This is a memorable film, and, judging by the facts, a Catholic one," the paper wrote. On the film's 30th anniversary, the Vatican devoted no less than five articles to the topic, Reuters reports.
The Vatican feels Jake's story -- his prison release and subsequent effort to reunite his blues band to save St. Helen of the Blessed Shroud Orphanage -- resembles the saga of Jesus.
"'A Catholic Film' was the title of a commentary by the top editor of L'Osservatore Romano, Gian Maria Vian, who has turned the once staid broadsheet into an often trendy and topical must-read," Politics Daily reports, noting another article was headlined 'On a Mission From God (and for cinema).'
See the famous line:
The New York Post notes that when 'The Blues Brothers' was released in 1980, the United States Conference of Catholic Bishops wrote, "The plot is interspersed with scenes of wholesale destruction and frenzied chases which are spectacularly unfunny and uninvolving."
The Vatican's newspaper, conversely, deems the film a "masterpiece," "incredibly shrewd" and "full of ideas," reports the National Catholic Register.
• Vatican Forgives Beatles, Ringo Says 'Don't Bother Me'
- Jennifer Aniston
- Paris Hilton
Kate Middleton is officially a princess. She walked the aisle in an Alexander...
According to Denise, she's not sure that her estranged ex is completely sober....
Popeater Hot Topics
- Records: Jane Fonda's charity foundation hasn't made donation in 5 years
- Maxim names annual Hometown Hottie: And the winner is...
- What do Adam Levine and Wilmer Valderrama have in common? ObamaCare
- 'SNL': Civil Rights Group Praises Plan to Add African-American Woman to Cast
- Machinima Pilot 'Enormous' Finds Its Cast (Exclusive)
- 'Game of Thrones' Holding King Joffrey 'Roast' Online
- ?Scandal' behind the scenes: Three men and an Emmy ? VIDEO
- Hate Joffrey? Here's your chance to roast the ?Game of Thrones' king
- Throwback Thursday: What's your favorite mid-season finale of all time? ? VIDEO
- Don Cheadle Suiting Up for 'Avengers: Age of Ultron'?
- Evangeline Lilly on 'The Hobbit': I Didn't Want to Be the Jar Jar Binks of the Trilogy
- Tina Fey & Amy Poehler Cast as 'Naggy Mothers of Darth Vader' (Sort Of)