Vatican Recognizes 'Blues Brothers' as Catholic Film
By PopEater Staff Posted Jun 18th 2010 01:35PM
"This is a memorable film, and, judging by the facts, a Catholic one," the paper wrote. On the film's 30th anniversary, the Vatican devoted no less than five articles to the topic, Reuters reports.
The Vatican feels Jake's story -- his prison release and subsequent effort to reunite his blues band to save St. Helen of the Blessed Shroud Orphanage -- resembles the saga of Jesus.
"'A Catholic Film' was the title of a commentary by the top editor of L'Osservatore Romano, Gian Maria Vian, who has turned the once staid broadsheet into an often trendy and topical must-read," Politics Daily reports, noting another article was headlined 'On a Mission From God (and for cinema).'
See the famous line:
The New York Post notes that when 'The Blues Brothers' was released in 1980, the United States Conference of Catholic Bishops wrote, "The plot is interspersed with scenes of wholesale destruction and frenzied chases which are spectacularly unfunny and uninvolving."
The Vatican's newspaper, conversely, deems the film a "masterpiece," "incredibly shrewd" and "full of ideas," reports the National Catholic Register.
• Vatican Forgives Beatles, Ringo Says 'Don't Bother Me'
- Jennifer Aniston
- Paris Hilton
Kate Middleton is officially a princess. She walked the aisle in an Alexander...
According to Denise, she's not sure that her estranged ex is completely sober....
Popeater Hot Topics
- Tom Cruise and Laura Prepon dating, report says
- Kate Mara says her parents have come to terms with her and sister's raunchy scenes
- 'The Munsters' star Butch Patrick looks to save haunted mansion
- Kobe Bryant Documentary Headed to Showtime
- TV Ratings: 'Survivor' Tops Repeat Wednesday, Fox Wins Night With 'Idol'
- Katie Couric: How I Met Yahoo's Marissa Mayer; Why the Web is a 'Step Up' from TV (Q&A)
- Cannes 2014: Most Canadian Movies Ever in Official Lineup
- Horror Movie Mistakes: 15 Goofs That'll Make You Scream (PHOTOS)
- 'Amazing Spider-Man 2' Post-Credits Clip Teases 'X-Men: Days of Future Past'