Taylor Swift Honored at Songwriters Hall of Fame Ceremony
By PopEater Staff Posted Jun 18th 2010 06:32AM
Although she wasn't inducted into the Songwriters Hall of Fame, Taylor Swift was presented with the Hal David Starlight Award, which honors up-and-coming songwriters, The Associated Press reports.
Swift's friend, John Mayer, gave the award to the 'You Belong to Me' singer. "She's no accident," he said. "You could put her in a time machine in any era and she would have a hit record."
Mayer added, "Don't confuse everybody loving one thing as hype. Sometimes that's everyone agreeing that it's fabulous."
Other honorees included Paul Simon, Phil Collins and Leonard Cohen.
Simon's 'Bridge Over Troubled Water' received the Towering Song Award. "I thought, 'Hmm, that's better than I usually write.' I was completely surprised that I wrote it -- it was completely unlike anything I had ever done before," he said of his tune.
Collins, who already belongs to the Hall of Fame, was granted the Johnny Mercer Award, while Cohen was inducted along with Jackie DeShannon, who wrote 'Bette Davis Eyes,' Bob Marley, Laura Nyro, Johnny Mandel, known for the 'M.A.S.H.' theme, and David Foster.
41st Annual Songwriters Hall of Fame
NEW YORK - JUNE 17: Billy Joel, Paul Simon and Phil Ramone attend the 41st Annual Songwriters Hall of Fame Ceremony at The New York Marriott Marquis on June 17, 2010 in New York City. (Photo by Larry Busacca/Getty Images for Songwriter's Hall of Fame) *** Local Caption *** Billy Joel;Paul Simon;Phil Ramone
Getty Images for Songwriter's Ha
Getty Images North America
MORE ABOUT Taylor Swift
Find the latest stories, biography, photos, videos, and more.Read more about Taylor Swift Li
- Jennifer Aniston
- Paris Hilton
Kate Middleton is officially a princess. She walked the aisle in an Alexander...
According to Denise, she's not sure that her estranged ex is completely sober....
Popeater Hot Topics
- 'X-Men' director calls sex abuse lawsuit a shakedown
- FOX411's pic of the day
- James Franco on his 'intimate' selfies: 'It's not like I'm exposing myself'
EW.COMFEEDMore From EW.com Li
- Extra Scoop: Lindsay Lohan Dodges Sobriety Questions, Gives Pole Dancing Lesson
- Cute or Ew? 'Orange Is the New Black' Sneak Peek Reveals Piper's New Pastime in Solitary
- Clare Crawley Has a Message for ?Bachelor' Juan Pablo
- Justin Bieber Finally Allowed to Leave LAX After Being Detained
- Pregnant Mila Kunis Takes a Pilates Class, New Mom Olivia Wilde Tweets About Baby Peeing In Face: Top 5 Thursday Stories
- Jodie Foster Flashes Wedding Ring After Secretly Tying the Knot With Girlfriend Alexandra Hedison: Picture