Taylor Swift Honored at Songwriters Hall of Fame Ceremony
By PopEater Staff Posted Jun 18th 2010 06:32AM
Although she wasn't inducted into the Songwriters Hall of Fame, Taylor Swift was presented with the Hal David Starlight Award, which honors up-and-coming songwriters, The Associated Press reports.
Swift's friend, John Mayer, gave the award to the 'You Belong to Me' singer. "She's no accident," he said. "You could put her in a time machine in any era and she would have a hit record."
Mayer added, "Don't confuse everybody loving one thing as hype. Sometimes that's everyone agreeing that it's fabulous."
Other honorees included Paul Simon, Phil Collins and Leonard Cohen.
Simon's 'Bridge Over Troubled Water' received the Towering Song Award. "I thought, 'Hmm, that's better than I usually write.' I was completely surprised that I wrote it -- it was completely unlike anything I had ever done before," he said of his tune.
Collins, who already belongs to the Hall of Fame, was granted the Johnny Mercer Award, while Cohen was inducted along with Jackie DeShannon, who wrote 'Bette Davis Eyes,' Bob Marley, Laura Nyro, Johnny Mandel, known for the 'M.A.S.H.' theme, and David Foster.
41st Annual Songwriters Hall of Fame
NEW YORK - JUNE 17: Billy Joel, Paul Simon and Phil Ramone attend the 41st Annual Songwriters Hall of Fame Ceremony at The New York Marriott Marquis on June 17, 2010 in New York City. (Photo by Larry Busacca/Getty Images for Songwriter's Hall of Fame) *** Local Caption *** Billy Joel;Paul Simon;Phil Ramone
Getty Images for Songwriter's Ha
Getty Images North America
MORE ABOUT Taylor Swift
Find the latest stories, biography, photos, videos, and more.Read more about Taylor Swift Li
- Jennifer Aniston
- Paris Hilton
Kate Middleton is officially a princess. She walked the aisle in an Alexander...
According to Denise, she's not sure that her estranged ex is completely sober....
Popeater Hot Topics
- Break Time: Courtney Stodden follows Farrah Abraham, films breast englarment
- Which celebrity is the worst role model for kids?
- Celebrity scale: Better skinny or curvy?
Huffington Post - EntertainmentFEED
- Way To Act Cool, Guys
- Aaron Sorkin: 'I Doubt HBO's Going To Be Happy With My Telling You This ...'
- Just How Good Is The Jodi Arias Movie?
- George Lucas has not spoken to J.J. Abrams about the next ?Star Wars'
- ?Franklin & Bash' star Breckin Meyer takes the EW Pop Culture Personality Test ? VIDEO
- Katy Perry says Russell Brand asked for a divorce via text message
- Now Playing: Live Movie Reviews
- Kim Kardashian Moving Out of Beverly Hills? to Live with Mom!
- Guess the Big Baby Bump!