Taylor Swift Honored at Songwriters Hall of Fame Ceremony
By PopEater Staff Posted Jun 18th 2010 06:32AM
Although she wasn't inducted into the Songwriters Hall of Fame, Taylor Swift was presented with the Hal David Starlight Award, which honors up-and-coming songwriters, The Associated Press reports.
Swift's friend, John Mayer, gave the award to the 'You Belong to Me' singer. "She's no accident," he said. "You could put her in a time machine in any era and she would have a hit record."
Mayer added, "Don't confuse everybody loving one thing as hype. Sometimes that's everyone agreeing that it's fabulous."
Other honorees included Paul Simon, Phil Collins and Leonard Cohen.
Simon's 'Bridge Over Troubled Water' received the Towering Song Award. "I thought, 'Hmm, that's better than I usually write.' I was completely surprised that I wrote it -- it was completely unlike anything I had ever done before," he said of his tune.
Collins, who already belongs to the Hall of Fame, was granted the Johnny Mercer Award, while Cohen was inducted along with Jackie DeShannon, who wrote 'Bette Davis Eyes,' Bob Marley, Laura Nyro, Johnny Mandel, known for the 'M.A.S.H.' theme, and David Foster.
41st Annual Songwriters Hall of Fame
NEW YORK - JUNE 17: Billy Joel, Paul Simon and Phil Ramone attend the 41st Annual Songwriters Hall of Fame Ceremony at The New York Marriott Marquis on June 17, 2010 in New York City. (Photo by Larry Busacca/Getty Images for Songwriter's Hall of Fame) *** Local Caption *** Billy Joel;Paul Simon;Phil Ramone
Getty Images for Songwriter's Ha
Getty Images North America
MORE ABOUT Taylor Swift
Find the latest stories, biography, photos, videos, and more.Read more about Taylor Swift Li
- Jennifer Aniston
- Paris Hilton
Kate Middleton is officially a princess. She walked the aisle in an Alexander...
According to Denise, she's not sure that her estranged ex is completely sober....
Popeater Hot Topics
- Rod McKuen, mega-selling poet and performer, dies at 81
- 'Big Bang Theory' star Jim Parsons to play God in Broadway show
- Blythe Danner: Even I don't understand my daughter Gwyneth Paltrow
- Teresa Giudice's Life in Prison: Working Out and Dreaming of Spray Tans
- Human Ken Doll 2.0! Man Pays Over $265K to Reinvent Himself with Plastic Surgery
- Bruce Jenner Spotted Pouting in Public, and New Details About His Supposed Docu-Series
- Rosie Perez Returning to The View After Rumors She Was Leaving After Only Four Months
- Jimmy Fallon's "Ew!" Supercut: Hilarious Clips With Michelle Obama, Taylor Swift
- Padma Lakshmi Appears to Have a Penis in Her Teeny Bikini Throwback Post -- See Her Amazing Body and Awkward Bottoms Here!