Former 'Biggest Loser' Contestant Calls the Show 'Dangerous'
By PopEater Staff Posted Jun 21st 2010 04:20PM
"I have people that come up to me and talk to me and ask me why they can't lose 12 pounds in a week when I did. When I didn't. It didn't happen. It's TV," she told the CBS 'Early Show.' "I need to take blame and responsibility for the fact that I helped perpetuate a myth that's dangerous."
When asked to clarify about her "a week is not a week on TV" comments, she said, "I'm saying that it would be, most times, longer than a week and I believe once, in my season, it was less than a week." (Contestants weigh-in on the show every week to determine who may get voted off.)
Hibbard also claims that the techniques they were taught to lose weight weren't always healthy. "The weight loss for that show is for ratings. People have to remember that 'The Biggest Loser' isn't a weight-loss camp that happens to be filmed for TV. It's a TV show that's made to look like a weight-loss camp. So there was pressure from production and everybody involved in the show to make sure you had as big of numbers as possible every week."
"I could tell you that before I went on the show, I never learned to dehydrate to manipulate a scale and I left knowing how to do it better than some fitness competitors I know," she explained.
But that wasn't the only thing she took from her time on the 'Loser' ranch. "I left with a very poor mental body image," she said, after dropping 118 pounds during 12 weeks on the series. She has since put 70 of those pounds back on.
"I found myself loathing what I looked like the more weight I dropped because of the pressure on me. And I found myself doing things like considering coffee a meal. And because of the mentality that I was surrounded with, and the pressure that was given at that show, it was considered acceptable to behave that way," she added. "I take full responsibility for everything that I've done. But you can't understand it unless you understand the pressure that was there," she continued.
Her husband added that all she would eat at times was coffee with Splenda and would always special order food if they went out for a meal. "She came back with her hair falling out and we all finally all sat down and were like, 'This isn't healthy for you,'" he said.
"My best friend and my mother are registered nurses, and along with my husband, they staged an intervention," Kai admitted.
Hibbard just wants people to be aware of what really goes on during 'The Biggest Loser.' "I participated in something that I feel is harmful to so many people, so I own responsibility to make it better. I'm not making any money off this. I am not getting anything out of it except for the fact that maybe I'm redeeming myself a little bit for being too much of a coward at that finale."
PopScene: Week's Hottest Pics
Betty White and a zookeeper pose with Jacob the Snake at the 40th Annual Beastly Ball Fundraiser in Los Angeles.
Michael Tullberg, Getty Images
Michael Tullberg, Getty Images
- Jennifer Aniston
- Paris Hilton
Kate Middleton is officially a princess. She walked the aisle in an Alexander...
According to Denise, she's not sure that her estranged ex is completely sober....
Popeater Hot Topics
- Ivanka Trump Sizzles in Ivana's Dress, Stolen Straight Out of Her Mama's Closet: Pictures
- TV's Top 10 Villains: The Biggest Baddies Currently on Air, From Gotham to Game of Thrones
- Kate Hudson Shimmers in Jenny Packham Gown: See the Amazing Curve-Hugging Dress!
- Abandoned! Kanye Jets To Europe Without Kim, Scott Ditches Pregnant Kourtney To Party & Khloe Can't Find Lamar
- Kendra Wilkinson Throws Hank Baskett Out Of The House For ?F**king A Transsexual' ? Watch The Clip
- Soup Kitchen Instead Of Prison? ?RHONJ' Star Teresa Giudice's Attorney Begs For Halfway House Placement – So She Can Do Charity Work! Read The Letter To The Judge
- FOX411's pic of the day
- Chrissy Teigen criticized for tweets on Ottawa shooting
- In defense of Renee Zellweger's face
- Required Reading: Our Favorite Fashion, Beauty & Lifestyle Books Out Right Now
- Goodfellas Actor Frank Sivero Sues Fox for $250 Million Over Simpsons Character He Says Is Based on Him
- This Is What Happens When You Secretly Feed McDonald's to a Bunch of Health Nuts—Watch Now!