Celebrity Telethon Reels in $1.8 Million for Oil Spill Aid
By PopEater Staff Posted Jun 22nd 2010 10:22AM
"Everyone's really pissed off," Jenny McCarthy told Ryan Seacrest, co-host of last night's Gulf Coast relief telethon on CNN, as she monitored tweets about BP's oil spill catastrophe.
Well said, Jenny.
Larry King's star-studded telethon, which benefited individuals impacted by the oil spill in the Gulf of Mexico, featured the likes of Justin Bieber, Cameron Diaz, Ke$ha and Ted Danson and hauled in more than $1.8 million, CNN reports.
"People are crying on the phone and giving money," said musician and New Orleans native Aaron Neville. Other participants in the 'Disaster in the Gulf: How You Can Help' event included Robert Redford, Pete Wentz, Nicole Richie, Alyssa Milano and Kathy Griffin.
Sting performed his song 'Fragile,' dedicating it to "all the people in the Gulf who have lost their livelihoods because of this terrible oil spill, and all the animals and birds we're losing, and to remember our ecology is very fragile."
In a recorded plea, Bieber somberly stated: "The oil disaster in the Gulf has been a big problem, but every little bit can help. There's no such thing as being too young to pitch in, and this is urgent. What we do now can affect our future. You can donate money or time or anything to the groups you've heard about on this show."
"What is going on in the Gulf is a tragedy and we need to help...tune in 2nite to LARRY KING and do what you can. thanks," Bieber wrote on Twitter.
See CNN's video report
In last week's PopEater roundup of pop culture and the oil spill, Big Boi told us he worries the oil spill may affect his seafood-heavy cooking, New Orleans native Ian Somerhalder said he was "shaken" by Hollywood's relative quiet on the oil spill front thus far and Roger Ebert vented, "I have no idea what to do about the Spill. Do you? Does anybody?"
PopScene: Week's Hottest Pics
Gabourey Sidibe attends The American Cancer Society's Choose You luncheon on May 5th in New York City.
Amy Sussman, Getty Images
Amy Sussman, Getty Images
PopScene: Weeks Hottest Pics
- Jennifer Aniston
- Paris Hilton
Kate Middleton is officially a princess. She walked the aisle in an Alexander...
According to Denise, she's not sure that her estranged ex is completely sober....
Popeater Hot Topics
- Robert Ri'chard Compares Magic Mike and Chocolate City
- Jason Derulo: Jordin Sparks Split Is "So Behind Me"
- Sarah Stage Poses in Bikini Photo Shoot Five Weeks After Giving Birth, Looks Perfectly Fit: Photos
- '19 Kids and Counting' yanked from TLC's schedule
- 'Bachelorette' Kaitlyn Bristowe: 'Not ashamed' of having sex on the show
- Flavor Flav arrested in Las Vegas on allegations of DUI, marijuana possession, speeding
- Chris Pratt Is Already Apologizing for Anything Offensive He Might Say During Jurassic World Press Tour: ''I Am Just Dumb''
- Brantley Gilbert Talks New Music and Marrying The One Who Almost Got Away
- Pete Davidson Live-Tweets His Harry Potter Movie Marathon: The Boy Who Lived Is ''Dope as F--k''