Celebrity Telethon Reels in $1.8 Million for Oil Spill Aid
By PopEater Staff Posted Jun 22nd 2010 10:22AM
"Everyone's really pissed off," Jenny McCarthy told Ryan Seacrest, co-host of last night's Gulf Coast relief telethon on CNN, as she monitored tweets about BP's oil spill catastrophe.
Well said, Jenny.
Larry King's star-studded telethon, which benefited individuals impacted by the oil spill in the Gulf of Mexico, featured the likes of Justin Bieber, Cameron Diaz, Ke$ha and Ted Danson and hauled in more than $1.8 million, CNN reports.
"People are crying on the phone and giving money," said musician and New Orleans native Aaron Neville. Other participants in the 'Disaster in the Gulf: How You Can Help' event included Robert Redford, Pete Wentz, Nicole Richie, Alyssa Milano and Kathy Griffin.
Sting performed his song 'Fragile,' dedicating it to "all the people in the Gulf who have lost their livelihoods because of this terrible oil spill, and all the animals and birds we're losing, and to remember our ecology is very fragile."
In a recorded plea, Bieber somberly stated: "The oil disaster in the Gulf has been a big problem, but every little bit can help. There's no such thing as being too young to pitch in, and this is urgent. What we do now can affect our future. You can donate money or time or anything to the groups you've heard about on this show."
"What is going on in the Gulf is a tragedy and we need to help...tune in 2nite to LARRY KING and do what you can. thanks," Bieber wrote on Twitter.
See CNN's video report
In last week's PopEater roundup of pop culture and the oil spill, Big Boi told us he worries the oil spill may affect his seafood-heavy cooking, New Orleans native Ian Somerhalder said he was "shaken" by Hollywood's relative quiet on the oil spill front thus far and Roger Ebert vented, "I have no idea what to do about the Spill. Do you? Does anybody?"
PopScene: Week's Hottest Pics
Gabourey Sidibe attends The American Cancer Society's Choose You luncheon on May 5th in New York City.
Amy Sussman, Getty Images
Amy Sussman, Getty Images
PopScene: Weeks Hottest Pics
- Jennifer Aniston
- Paris Hilton
Kate Middleton is officially a princess. She walked the aisle in an Alexander...
According to Denise, she's not sure that her estranged ex is completely sober....
Popeater Hot Topics
- Tea Leoni on Ex-Husband David Duchovny: "I Don't Know How I Could Ever Hate Him"
- Shonda Rhimes Blasts New York Times Critic Who Called Her an "Angry Black Woman"
- Kate Hudson Dons Sheer Top, Wide-Leg Pants for Wish I Was Here Screening
- Gloria Allred Demands Roger Goodell Open NFL Investigation Into Abuse ? His ?Statement Fell Short,' She Says
- Luke Bryan reaches out to dying teenager on Twitter
- Kaley Cuoco-Sweeting: How I found out nude pics had leaked
- Jason Aldean: Get over affair and stop calling me 'bro country'
- t.A.T.u. Singer Julia Volkova Says She Would "Condemn" a Gay Son—but Lesbians Look "Much Nicer"
- Best Looks of the Week: Taylor Schilling's Metallic Mini, Emmy Rossum's Polka Dot Gown & More!
- Melissa Rivers and Fashion Police Co-Hosts Look Back at Joan Rivers' Best Moments: Watch Now!