Courtney Love Dispenses Her Seminal Wisdom on 'Behind the Music'
By Nadine Cheung Posted Jun 22nd 2010 05:05PM
While the teaser for Love's documentary portrays a lucid woman ruminating about her past, her clip reel shows audiences the mercurial celebrity people hate to love and love to hate. Case in point: "I get this s*** because I'm the only f***ing chick standing," she says about fame. "And I'm a crazy b****, and I'm a widow and it makes me sick. It's f***ing pathetic. Stop it. Seriously, or I'll f***ing kill you."
Love also admits she has a lot of pent-up anger, which she releases through her music. It's an aspect of the singer that is embraced by her fans with a delicate understanding. "I have to express my rage, I'm really angry," she confesses. "I look at audiences and I like what I see, and when I say f*** you, I say it in a loving manner and they say f*** you right back."
(Warning: Obscenity Overload. This clip is NOT censored and contains explicit language. Watch at your own risk.)
While there's no doubt that Love is b-a-n-a-n-a-s, she also knows how to draw attention, and people are still listening. However, sometimes the critics can be too much, even for the tough-skinned guitarist. "It's really hard sometimes when everyone in the world is picking on you. And that's what started happening. Everyone in the world started picking on me."
"It really, really hurt my feelings -- it was horrible," she continues as tears flood her eyes. "It took a long time to adapt to it and it -- that was trauma. That was traumatic. I didn't ask to be hated. I just don't mind being a b****."
Later, the 45-year-old talks about her relationship with Nine Inch Nails frontman Trent Reznor, and recalls a time when they retaliated against each other in the press. In fact, Love says Reznor still holds a grudge about the incident. "Me and Trent had a kind of torrid whatever you want to call it," she says. "And then he said in Details that my alleged pregnancy would have to be the immaculate conception. So I said in Spin, don't call your band Nine Inch Nails if you have a three-inch one."
"My band's called Hole," she adds to justify her statement. "It's not called Little Hole, it's not called Big Hole. It's not called Flopping Nonie, it's not called Tiny Rosebud, it's not called Barbie P****, it's called Hole. He's still mad at me about it. Dude, that was the '90s, what the f***?"
Love has a long history of admitted drug use, and in an almost epiphanic moment, she realizes that using Rohypnol, which can lead to blackouts and unconsciousness, may be the reason behind her erratic behavior. "So I was asking somebody, 'Why does Rohypnol have such a bad rap?'" she recounts. "And they said, 'horrible memory loss.' Well that's what happens when I meet somebody and I don't know if I hate them or like them or what, but I know that I did something -- did I f*** them? I don't know -- Rohypnol."
VH1 will be re-airing 'Behind the Music: Courtney Love' for the next two weeks. For more pearls of wisdom, check your local listings.
PopScene: Week's Hottest Pics
Kristen Stewart signs autographs as she attends a photocall for 'Twilight: Eclipse' on June 21st in Stockholm, Sweden.
Adam Osterman, Getty Images
Adam Osterman, Getty Images
PopScene: Weeks Hot Pics
- Jennifer Aniston
- Paris Hilton
Kate Middleton is officially a princess. She walked the aisle in an Alexander...
According to Denise, she's not sure that her estranged ex is completely sober....
Popeater Hot Topics
- Taylor Swift shines at Billboard Music Awards, Justin Bieber booed
- Kellie Pickler: Maxim Hot 100 list doesn't make you hot
- Stars who lost their mojo
Huffington Post - EntertainmentFEED
- Mary J. Blige's Money Problems Worsen
- What Went Wrong?
- Turns Out One Broadchurch Star Knew Some Secrets Before The Others
- PopWatch Planner: ?Fast & Furious 6,' ?The Hangover Part III,' ?Modern Family' season finale, and more
- ?All-Star Celebrity Apprentice' season finale: And the winner is?
- EW's Bite of the Night: Submit your favorite quote from tonight's best TV!
- Photos! At the 2013 Billboard Music Awards
- David Beckham Cries at Last Soccer Game
- Kanye West on ?SNL': Performs ?New Slaves,' ?Black Skinhead'
- Kristen Stewart and Robert Pattinson Break Up; Kanye West Debuts New Music on Saturday Night Live: Top Stories From the Weekend
- Kesha Nearly Flashes Butt at Billboard Music Awards: Picture
- Jennifer Nettles Shows Off Slim, Stunning Post-Baby Body at Billboard Music Awards