Courtney Love Dispenses Her Seminal Wisdom on 'Behind the Music'
By Nadine Cheung Posted Jun 22nd 2010 05:05PM
While the teaser for Love's documentary portrays a lucid woman ruminating about her past, her clip reel shows audiences the mercurial celebrity people hate to love and love to hate. Case in point: "I get this s*** because I'm the only f***ing chick standing," she says about fame. "And I'm a crazy b****, and I'm a widow and it makes me sick. It's f***ing pathetic. Stop it. Seriously, or I'll f***ing kill you."
Love also admits she has a lot of pent-up anger, which she releases through her music. It's an aspect of the singer that is embraced by her fans with a delicate understanding. "I have to express my rage, I'm really angry," she confesses. "I look at audiences and I like what I see, and when I say f*** you, I say it in a loving manner and they say f*** you right back."
(Warning: Obscenity Overload. This clip is NOT censored and contains explicit language. Watch at your own risk.)
While there's no doubt that Love is b-a-n-a-n-a-s, she also knows how to draw attention, and people are still listening. However, sometimes the critics can be too much, even for the tough-skinned guitarist. "It's really hard sometimes when everyone in the world is picking on you. And that's what started happening. Everyone in the world started picking on me."
"It really, really hurt my feelings -- it was horrible," she continues as tears flood her eyes. "It took a long time to adapt to it and it -- that was trauma. That was traumatic. I didn't ask to be hated. I just don't mind being a b****."
Later, the 45-year-old talks about her relationship with Nine Inch Nails frontman Trent Reznor, and recalls a time when they retaliated against each other in the press. In fact, Love says Reznor still holds a grudge about the incident. "Me and Trent had a kind of torrid whatever you want to call it," she says. "And then he said in Details that my alleged pregnancy would have to be the immaculate conception. So I said in Spin, don't call your band Nine Inch Nails if you have a three-inch one."
"My band's called Hole," she adds to justify her statement. "It's not called Little Hole, it's not called Big Hole. It's not called Flopping Nonie, it's not called Tiny Rosebud, it's not called Barbie P****, it's called Hole. He's still mad at me about it. Dude, that was the '90s, what the f***?"
Love has a long history of admitted drug use, and in an almost epiphanic moment, she realizes that using Rohypnol, which can lead to blackouts and unconsciousness, may be the reason behind her erratic behavior. "So I was asking somebody, 'Why does Rohypnol have such a bad rap?'" she recounts. "And they said, 'horrible memory loss.' Well that's what happens when I meet somebody and I don't know if I hate them or like them or what, but I know that I did something -- did I f*** them? I don't know -- Rohypnol."
VH1 will be re-airing 'Behind the Music: Courtney Love' for the next two weeks. For more pearls of wisdom, check your local listings.
PopScene: Week's Hottest Pics
Kristen Stewart signs autographs as she attends a photocall for 'Twilight: Eclipse' on June 21st in Stockholm, Sweden.
Adam Osterman, Getty Images
Adam Osterman, Getty Images
PopScene: Weeks Hot Pics
- Jennifer Aniston
- Paris Hilton
Kate Middleton is officially a princess. She walked the aisle in an Alexander...
According to Denise, she's not sure that her estranged ex is completely sober....
Popeater Hot Topics
- Reba McEntire releases new song, 'Pray for Peace'
- EPA sends out tweet promoting Kim Kardashian game, apologizes for doing so
- Tim McGraw comments on altercation with female fan
- ?The Bachelorette: The Men Tell All': ?I had no idea you guys were kissing her so fast!'
- A serious attempt to understand Blake Lively's Goop-like website
- Dwayne Johnson maybe just revealed that he's playing a ?Justice League' superhero
- Happy Birthday to Prince George! See the Cutest Pics Ever
- Go Behind the Scenes of 'Divergent's' Epic Ferris Wheel Scene with Shailene Woodley
- Extra Scoop: Robert Downey Jr. Is Hollywood's Highest-Paid Actor
- Jennifer Lopez "Not Mad" About Hot Bikini Body in Hamptons for Birthday With Leah Remini: Instagram Picture
- Jimmy Kimmel Shares Adorable First Photos of Baby Daughter Jane With Molly McNearney
- Beyonce Shares Adorable Family Photo With Blue, Jay Z Amidst Rumors of Marriage Problems: Picture