Jack Nicholson, Val Kilmer, Laurence Fishburne and Ex-Wives Remember Dennis Hopper
By PopEater Staff Posted Jun 23rd 2010 08:05PM
The profile includes recollections and thoughts about the colorful actor from Jack Nicholson, Val Kilmer, Laurence Fishburne and other friends and family members.
Quotes and excerpts from the article after the jump.
Jack Nicholson on Hopper's directing:
"That's one of the sad things, to me. Hoppy was a great director, in my opinion, and his acting career was totally impressive -- he survived so many not-so-great movies. But it's a tough gig, being a director. You've got to make money, that's part of the ballgame."
Val Kilmer on Hopper's star power:
"That twinkle in his eye was as movie-star as it gets. That grin and the way he looked away, then slashed you back with a laser-like look, then a quick nod. He practiced that a lot, you could tell. Actors practice the stuff that works on people. And he worked on people."
Laurence Fishburne on working with Hopper:
"All of his performance was improvisational. It was stunning, the stream of consciousness coming out of him. I was just a kid, 15 years old, but I was blown away by his ability. He didn't pay much attention to me, but I shadowed him for a while, because I thought, "Here's a guy who's free, here's a guy who's really free."
Daria Halprin, Hopper's third wife, on his substance abuse:
"It was during our marriage that Dennis had some of his most difficult years with alcoholism and drug abuse. Our marriage suffered tremendously."
Nicholson on Hopper's memorial service:
"There was a whole lot of bikers lined up. And when they set their engines off, that set me off too."
Get the full article in the newest issue of Rolling Stone, hitting newsstands Friday.
Recently Departed Celebrities
Lynn Redgrave, May 2: The third member of the Redgrave acting dynasty to die in a year, Lynn passed away at her Manhattan apartment at age 67 of as-yet unannounced causes. The 'Georgy Girl' star's niece, Natasha Richardson, died a year ago and her older brother Corin, succumbed to illness a month ago.
Teresa Barbieri, Getty Images
Teresa Barbieri, Getty Images
Recently Departed Celebs
- Jennifer Aniston
- Paris Hilton
Kate Middleton is officially a princess. She walked the aisle in an Alexander...
According to Denise, she's not sure that her estranged ex is completely sober....
Popeater Hot Topics
- Musicians Gwen Stefani and Gavin Rossdale file for divorce
- Reba McEntire, Narvel Blackstock announce separation
- Bobbi Kristina Brown death photo sold as family attends funeral
- Whole Foods L.A. Explains "Asparagus Water" Controversy: It Was Supposed to Be "Bone Broth"
- Lollapalooza: This Is Where Singer Janelle Kroll Would Like to Perform Next
- Style Notes: Ali Lohan Fronts Denim Campaign; September Issue Covers Trickle In
Access HollywoodFEEDMore From Access Hollywood Li
- Quiz: Which TV Show Should You Binge Watch?
- 'The Dressmaker' Trailer Has Sexy Kate Winslet, Shirtless Liam Hemsworth
- Giant Inflatable Minion Flies Into Traffic, Causing Car Damage and Bad Puns