Jack Nicholson, Val Kilmer, Laurence Fishburne and Ex-Wives Remember Dennis Hopper
By PopEater Staff Posted Jun 23rd 2010 08:05PM
The profile includes recollections and thoughts about the colorful actor from Jack Nicholson, Val Kilmer, Laurence Fishburne and other friends and family members.
Quotes and excerpts from the article after the jump.
Jack Nicholson on Hopper's directing:
"That's one of the sad things, to me. Hoppy was a great director, in my opinion, and his acting career was totally impressive -- he survived so many not-so-great movies. But it's a tough gig, being a director. You've got to make money, that's part of the ballgame."
Val Kilmer on Hopper's star power:
"That twinkle in his eye was as movie-star as it gets. That grin and the way he looked away, then slashed you back with a laser-like look, then a quick nod. He practiced that a lot, you could tell. Actors practice the stuff that works on people. And he worked on people."
Laurence Fishburne on working with Hopper:
"All of his performance was improvisational. It was stunning, the stream of consciousness coming out of him. I was just a kid, 15 years old, but I was blown away by his ability. He didn't pay much attention to me, but I shadowed him for a while, because I thought, "Here's a guy who's free, here's a guy who's really free."
Daria Halprin, Hopper's third wife, on his substance abuse:
"It was during our marriage that Dennis had some of his most difficult years with alcoholism and drug abuse. Our marriage suffered tremendously."
Nicholson on Hopper's memorial service:
"There was a whole lot of bikers lined up. And when they set their engines off, that set me off too."
Get the full article in the newest issue of Rolling Stone, hitting newsstands Friday.
Recently Departed Celebrities
Lynn Redgrave, May 2: The third member of the Redgrave acting dynasty to die in a year, Lynn passed away at her Manhattan apartment at age 67 of as-yet unannounced causes. The 'Georgy Girl' star's niece, Natasha Richardson, died a year ago and her older brother Corin, succumbed to illness a month ago.
Teresa Barbieri, Getty Images
Teresa Barbieri, Getty Images
Recently Departed Celebs
- Jennifer Aniston
- Paris Hilton
Kate Middleton is officially a princess. She walked the aisle in an Alexander...
According to Denise, she's not sure that her estranged ex is completely sober....
Popeater Hot Topics
- Morgan Freeman seems to fall asleep during on-air interview
- Cannes street style
- Documentary exploring history of Second Amendment features Ted Nugent, Ice-T
- Russell Simmons Inks Overall Deal With HBO (Exclusive)
- Cannes: Sundance Selects Nabs North American Rights to Clio Barnard's 'The Selfish Giant'
- Cannes: Bidder Pays $1.5 Million for Trip to Space with Leonardo DiCaprio
- Pop Culture Pet Peeve: Chain your door if you're in danger!
- Lucille Bluth vs. the Disney Princesses
- Robert Kirkman talks about his crime comic ?Thief of Thieves.' Plus: check out the first four pages of the new issue ? EXCLUSIVE
- Brandi Glanville Claims She Hooked Up With Gerard Butler
- Charlie Sheen Talks Ladies – Onscreen & Off
- Jonah Hill ‘Overwhelmed’ By ‘Moneyball’ Supporting Actor Nomination
- Quicksilver in 'X-Men: Days of Future Past': Evan Peters Cast as Magneto's Son
- 'Poltergeist' Reboot May Actually Be a Sequel
- 'Rush' Trailer: Death Is Something That Happens to Other People