Bullock-James Divorce 'Definitely Still On,' But Would a Reunion Kill Sandy's Career?
By Rob Shuter Posted Jun 23rd 2010 03:46PM
Would a Sandra Bullock-Jesse James reunion kill the actress's career? While rumors that the couple will be getting back together should be ignored, according to Sandra's rep, who confirms the divorce is indeed moving forward, we were curious if all of the public support and sympathy Sandra received during the horrible cheating scandal would vanish if she and Jesse became pals again. So, we asked experts and celebrities ... their answers, after the jump!
"Sandra and Jesse are talking," a friend of the actress confirms. "Most of the conversations are focused on the children, but occasionally Jesse makes her laugh and they forget for a second what he did to her. Of course, Sandra misses him. You don't just stop loving someone because they cheated. The divorce is definitely still on, but could I see them getting remarried down the road? It's not impossible."
And although it's the last thing on her mind at the moment, sources tell me that Hollywood power players are nervous about the impact any sort of reunion would have on Sandra's career.
PopEater columnist Jo Piazza explains, "The American public is very careful with their sympathy. They are indulging in Sandy's scorned woman narrative, and right now they are squarely on her side. But if she flips this script and returns to what we know is a bad marriage, all of that goodwill and love will go out the window faster than you can say Nazi sympathizer."
"It will also harm her within the industry, as pairing with Jesse makes her extremely vulnerable and volatile, and no director or studio wants that kind of liability behind one of their actresses," she adds. "Jesse will only serve to destabilize her career."
Piazza is not alone in her thinking. Publicist-to-the-stars Kelly Brady of Brandsway Creative agrees.
"Right now, everyone is on Sandra Bullock's side. She is America's sweetheart and they are rooting for her to move on with her life and to stay strong," she says. "If Sandra got back with Jesse, I don't think the public would understand. He publicly humiliated her and she will struggle to regain the public's respect if she were to go back to him."
However, not all of the experts agree. Paula Froelich, New York Times best-selling author of 'Mercury in Retrograde,' argues, "If she waits long enough and he's changed, all will be forgiven. A lot of women have taken back their cheating husbands, especially when a baby is involved."
Paul Dergarabedian, president of Hollywood.com box office division, makes a similar argument, telling me: "I think people would feel as they would if their sister got back together with someone they didn't like. Shocked and angry at first, then a cautious wait-and-see attitude followed by an understanding that it's ultimately her life and her decision."
Ultimately, no one puts it better than our friend, the Diane Sawyer of entertainment news, Lara Spencer. 'The Insider' host tells me, "I don't think it would affect her career. She has solidified her place as an iconic actress and total sweetheart, and if she feels he deserves a second chance, who are we to judge?"
What do you think?
Prince Harry and Chelsy Pics
Chelsy Davy and Prince Harry are seen here on May 7, 2010 at a ceremony where Harry received his wings as a graduate from the Operational Training Phase of the Army Air Corps pilots' course.
Prince Harry and Chelsy Davy Pics
- Filed under:
- Famous Couples -
- Gut Reactions -
- Movie News -
- Splitsville -
- Naughty But Nice With Rob Shuter -
- Sandra Bullock
- Jennifer Aniston
- Paris Hilton
Kate Middleton is officially a princess. She walked the aisle in an Alexander...
According to Denise, she's not sure that her estranged ex is completely sober....
Popeater Hot Topics
- No background check done on Michael Jackson's doctor, lawyer says
- Break Time: Tan Mom makes an unfortunate music video
- ?Daily Show' co-creator Lizz Winstead sparks outrage with Oklahoma tornado joke about conservatives
- 'Pretty Little Liars' Recruits Rumer Willis for Season 4 (Exclusive)
- 'X Factor': First Photo of New Judges Revealed
- 'X-Men: Days of Future Past': Jennifer Lawrence's Mystique Revealed (Photo)
- ?Dancing With the Stars': Your Hidden Gems of the Season 16 Finals!
- ?The Bachelor's Funniest Moments': Bloopers, bugs, booze, and boobs
- EW's Bite of the Night: Submit your favorite quote from tonight's best TV!
- Brandi Glanville Claims She Hooked Up With Gerard Butler
- Charlie Sheen Talks Ladies – Onscreen & Off
- Jonah Hill ‘Overwhelmed’ By ‘Moneyball’ Supporting Actor Nomination
- 'Return of the Jedi': 25 Things You Didn't Know About the Original 'Star Wars' Trilogy Finale
- Is 'Jurassic Park 4' a Reboot? Yes, According to Sam Neill
- This Witch Gets You One Step Closer to a Trip to the Premiere of 'World War Z' (PHOTO)