Did That Final 'True Blood' Sex Scene Cross the Line?
By Jane Boursaw Posted Jun 28th 2010 06:40PM
Pop-ed: Fans of 'True Blood' were told that this season of the HBO hit about vampires and werewolves would include some of the most twisted scenes on TV, but did last night's episode -- particularly its closing moments -- go too far?
After the credits rolled, I filed my review for TV Squad, attempted to regain my sense of what's right and wrong in the world, posted a note on my Facebook page and trolled the Internet to see what other people were saying.
Haven't seen last night's episode yet? Beware: major spoilers ahead!
Yes, I'm talking about that final, shocking, head-spinning scene -- where good-guy vampire Bill Compton turned very bad when he threw his ex, Lorena, on the bed and attacked her, twisting her head around so that she was staring the other way, blood oozing out of her mouth as Bill had his way with her.
I'm not sure it could be classified as rape because she is the one who wanted it, and she even managed to spew out "I love you" during the act. Plus, they're both vampires, and judging by the earlier sex scene between Tara and Franklin, vamp sex is pretty intense to begin with.
Even Lorena herself, actress Mariana Klaveno, said it was the most shocking thing she'd ever read in a television script. "My jaw dropped on the floor when I read it and thought, 'Oh my god, I actually have to do that?'" she said in an interview with E! Online.
"[They said] 'Here's your script, pray that your parents will be okay when they watch this episode. They may not want to.' It was a little uncomfortable, but we got through it."
Over on our Facebook page, the comments are varied, with "freaky," "shocking" and "gross" used to describe the scene. Some felt it was OK because it's on HBO, and 'True Blood' has a tradition of pushing the envelope on blood, sex and gore.
But one viewer may be re-thinking her 'True Blood' habit, noting that Stephen Moyer, who plays Bill, is calling the scene "a watercooler moment for the next 20 years." "This might cross the line for me and I haven't felt this way since the rape scene in 'The Hills Have Eyes' remake a few years back," wrote Nicolette Black.
"I am sorry, but rape is not entertainment and should not be showed in such a light manner," she added. "I think I may be dropping 'True Blood' from my viewing. I was going to give it one more season because I really did not like last season's storyline, but I think they finally crossed my line. I want more story, sex and violence gets boring after awhile."
The Twitterverse is buzzing, as well:
What do you think? Did 'True Blood' cross the line with Bill and Lorena's twisted sex scene? Or is it just another night on HBO? Tell us on Facebook >>>
- Jennifer Aniston
- Paris Hilton
Kate Middleton is officially a princess. She walked the aisle in an Alexander...
According to Denise, she's not sure that her estranged ex is completely sober....
Popeater Hot Topics
- Kim Kardashian Nude Photos Leaked Online: Report
- Jimmy Fallon Surprised By Shirtless Seth Rogen, James Franco For 40th Birthday on The Tonight Show
- Sharon Stone Was Diva On Golden Boy Set, Made Outrageous Demands, Italian Filmmakers Claim
RadarOnline.comFEEDMore News at Radar Online Li
- Report: Avril Lavigne and Nickelback's Chad Kroeger are splitting up
- Lady Gaga says she's 'very happy' and sober
- Melissa Rivers breaks her silence about her mother, Joan.
- Melissa Rivers, Kelly Osbourne, Giuliana Rancic, and George Kotsiopoulos Remember Joan Rivers' Humor—Watch the Touching Clip!
- Jonny Drubel Loses His Temper After Woman Rudely Tells Him to Not Wear Lip Gloss—Watch the Outrageous #RichKids Clip!
- Nattie Attacks Summer Rae and Pulls Her Out of a Car by Her Hair—See the Intense Total Divas Moment!