The 'Eat, Pray, Love' Merchandising Train Keeps Spewing More Feel Good Products
By Jo Piazza Posted Jul 3rd 2010 12:00PM
Marketers are apparently banking on the fact that the target audience for the upcoming Julia Roberts vehicle 'Eat, Pray, Love,' single women of a certain age who are unhappy with their lives, are willing to whip out their credit cards to make themselves happier.
Back in April, we wrote about Los Angeles-based jewelry company Dogeared, maker of pretty trinkets like "karma" and "chakra," inking a deal with Sony Pictures to make merchandise co-branded with the film.
Fred Segal and ABC Carpet & Home are stocking the collection of jewelry, trinkets, travel baubles and pretty lady things, with prices ranging from $20 to $100.
Additionally, the chain store Cost Plus has plans to offer exclusive furnishings, replicas of those featured in the film.
Now, perfume brand Fresh has created a new line of fragrances based on the best-selling novel by Elizabeth Gilbert and the upcoming flick.
The fragrances, adorably called "Eat," "Pray" and "Love," can be worn separately or together. Pray smells of juniper berry and patchouli, Love of mango and sandalwood, and Eat a three-course meal of lemon, basil, plum, caramel, meringue and vanilla.
The $32 sprays will be released on July 15 along with a candle set for $45.
Ostensibly,' Eat, Pray, Love' is a movie about a woman traveling the world to find herself. Is that something that Sony's marketing partners should be capitalizing on?
"We pay money for yoga. We pay money to eat great Italian food, and we pay money to seek spiritual enlightenment. Buying perfume to make ourselves feel like we are making progress on those fronts is probably the cheaper way to go," says Fashionista.com associate editor Leah Chernikoff. "Besides, we can always count on Fresh to make delicious smelling scents.
The Fresh scents are certainly cheaper than the luxury travel tours now being touted with 'Eat, Pray, Love' tie-ins. For a mere $4,000, women can indulge on Indian meditation tours like the trip that Gilbert herself took, inspiring the book.
It does feel like a can of worms is being opened. We have the jewelry and the scents, what's next? Will Rocco DiSpirito be capitalizing on 'Eat' with prepared frozen dinners and a line of fine-but-reasonably-priced wines to mend a broken heart on a lonely Friday night?
PopScene: Week's Hottest Pics
David Letterman rode a go kart fueled by the reaction of mixing 648 Mentos candies with 108 two liter bottles of Diet Coke for a taping of a segment for 'The Late Show with David Letterman' on June 29th in New York City.
- Jennifer Aniston
- Paris Hilton
Kate Middleton is officially a princess. She walked the aisle in an Alexander...
According to Denise, she's not sure that her estranged ex is completely sober....
Popeater Hot Topics
- Kiefer Sutherland's rep responds to Freddie Prinze Jr.'s complaints about actor
- Anthony Anderson 'Eats America'
- Crazy characters at Comic Con 2014
- Kathy Griffin Re-Signs With WME After Four Months at CAA (Exclusive)
- James Shigeta, Top Asian-American Actor of Early '60s and 'Die Hard' Co-Star, Dies at 81
- Paul Candland Promoted to President of Walt Disney Company Asia
- ?The Hobbit' Comic-Con panel is now online: The top 5 highlights
- I'm Still Not Over? House and Cuddy's terrible relationship
- One set, two actors, all dialogue: TV's best ?bottle' episodes
- The 'Batkid Begins' Trailer Will Make You Shed a Tear or Two (VIDEO)
- Chris Pratt, Zoe Saldana, and Dave Bautista Get Weird in Our 'Guardians of the Galaxy' Unscripted (VIDEO)
- Norman Reedus Breaks Down Daryl and Beth's Relationship on 'The Walking Dead'