The 'Eat, Pray, Love' Merchandising Train Keeps Spewing More Feel Good Products
By Jo Piazza Posted Jul 3rd 2010 12:00PM
Marketers are apparently banking on the fact that the target audience for the upcoming Julia Roberts vehicle 'Eat, Pray, Love,' single women of a certain age who are unhappy with their lives, are willing to whip out their credit cards to make themselves happier.
Back in April, we wrote about Los Angeles-based jewelry company Dogeared, maker of pretty trinkets like "karma" and "chakra," inking a deal with Sony Pictures to make merchandise co-branded with the film.
Fred Segal and ABC Carpet & Home are stocking the collection of jewelry, trinkets, travel baubles and pretty lady things, with prices ranging from $20 to $100.
Additionally, the chain store Cost Plus has plans to offer exclusive furnishings, replicas of those featured in the film.
Now, perfume brand Fresh has created a new line of fragrances based on the best-selling novel by Elizabeth Gilbert and the upcoming flick.
The fragrances, adorably called "Eat," "Pray" and "Love," can be worn separately or together. Pray smells of juniper berry and patchouli, Love of mango and sandalwood, and Eat a three-course meal of lemon, basil, plum, caramel, meringue and vanilla.
The $32 sprays will be released on July 15 along with a candle set for $45.
Ostensibly,' Eat, Pray, Love' is a movie about a woman traveling the world to find herself. Is that something that Sony's marketing partners should be capitalizing on?
"We pay money for yoga. We pay money to eat great Italian food, and we pay money to seek spiritual enlightenment. Buying perfume to make ourselves feel like we are making progress on those fronts is probably the cheaper way to go," says Fashionista.com associate editor Leah Chernikoff. "Besides, we can always count on Fresh to make delicious smelling scents.
The Fresh scents are certainly cheaper than the luxury travel tours now being touted with 'Eat, Pray, Love' tie-ins. For a mere $4,000, women can indulge on Indian meditation tours like the trip that Gilbert herself took, inspiring the book.
It does feel like a can of worms is being opened. We have the jewelry and the scents, what's next? Will Rocco DiSpirito be capitalizing on 'Eat' with prepared frozen dinners and a line of fine-but-reasonably-priced wines to mend a broken heart on a lonely Friday night?
PopScene: Week's Hottest Pics
David Letterman rode a go kart fueled by the reaction of mixing 648 Mentos candies with 108 two liter bottles of Diet Coke for a taping of a segment for 'The Late Show with David Letterman' on June 29th in New York City.
- Jennifer Aniston
- Paris Hilton
Kate Middleton is officially a princess. She walked the aisle in an Alexander...
According to Denise, she's not sure that her estranged ex is completely sober....
Popeater Hot Topics
- McKayla Maroney reportedly takes legal action over hacked pics, claiming she was underage
- Justin Bieber charged with assault, Ontario police say
- Miranda Lambert, Blake Shelton reportedly turn down $1 million Las Vegas show deal
- NBC to Remake South Korean Variety Show 'Grandpas Over Flowers'
- Netflix Takes Rights to 'Gotham' Ahead of Launch
- Dax Shepard Making 'CHiPS' Movie for Warner Bros.
- In ?Velocity 2X,' new-school speed meets old-school charm
- Loki fans, rejoice: Here's an entire movie about him
- Warner Bros. registers four superhero-movie domain names: Is this DC Phase 2?
- A Remastered, HD Version of 'The Wire' Is Coming to HBO... Eventually
- Robin Williams's Daughter Zelda Returns to Twitter With Anti-Bullying Message
- The 'Escape From New York' Reboot May Feature Charlie Hunnam in an Eye Patch