Grammys Change Best New Artist Eligibility After Lady Gaga Diss
By PopEater Staff Posted Jul 7th 2010 03:01PM
Gaga's stratospheric success and popularity in 2009 were undeniable, but a 2008 Best Dance Recording nomination for her hit single 'Just Dance' prevented her from being nominated at this January's show (the award ended up going to the Zac Brown Band). The Associated Press reports that the Recording Academy made the changes to provide eligibility to previous Grammy nominees who have not released a full-length album and who have not won.
Though its a shame Gaga had to be made an example of in this case, it may be for the best, as taking home the Best New Artist prize at the Grammys has sometimes proven a career killer. For every The Beatles (1965) or Mariah Carey (1991), there a Milli Vanilli (1990), Starland Vocal Band (1977) and Evanescence (2004) that didn't exactly stand the test of time.
Lady Gaga Snaps
Lady Gaga performs at the Boardwalk Hall Arena on July 4, 2010 in Atlantic City. More photos >>
Getty Images North America
- Jennifer Aniston
- Paris Hilton
Kate Middleton is officially a princess. She walked the aisle in an Alexander...
According to Denise, she's not sure that her estranged ex is completely sober....
Popeater Hot Topics
- Randy Bachman of The Guess Who & BTO keeps on takin' care of business
- Amanda Bynes released from psychiatric facility, slams parents in Twitter rant
- Country singer Jessie James Decker deletes Twitter account after ripping followers
- Taylor Swift Stays True to Her ?No Dating' Policy
- Virgin Galactic Crash: The Stars Who've Signed Up to Go Into Space
- Emma Watson, Julia Louis-Dreyfus and Others Shine at 2014 Britannia Awards
- Kim Kardashian Dresses North in Skunk Costume; See How the Today Show Celebrated Halloween: Top 5 Stories
- Heidi Klum Dresses as a Butterfly for Annual Halloween Party -- See Her Crazy Costume Here!
- Kim Kardashian and North West Dress as Anna Wintour, Andre Leon Talley -- Plus, See Her Other Halloween Costumes!