Grammys Change Best New Artist Eligibility After Lady Gaga Diss
By PopEater Staff Posted Jul 7th 2010 03:01PM
Gaga's stratospheric success and popularity in 2009 were undeniable, but a 2008 Best Dance Recording nomination for her hit single 'Just Dance' prevented her from being nominated at this January's show (the award ended up going to the Zac Brown Band). The Associated Press reports that the Recording Academy made the changes to provide eligibility to previous Grammy nominees who have not released a full-length album and who have not won.
Though its a shame Gaga had to be made an example of in this case, it may be for the best, as taking home the Best New Artist prize at the Grammys has sometimes proven a career killer. For every The Beatles (1965) or Mariah Carey (1991), there a Milli Vanilli (1990), Starland Vocal Band (1977) and Evanescence (2004) that didn't exactly stand the test of time.
Lady Gaga Snaps
Lady Gaga performs at the Boardwalk Hall Arena on July 4, 2010 in Atlantic City. More photos >>
Getty Images North America
- Jennifer Aniston
- Paris Hilton
Kate Middleton is officially a princess. She walked the aisle in an Alexander...
According to Denise, she's not sure that her estranged ex is completely sober....
Popeater Hot Topics
- Actress Sheila MacRae from 1960s re-creation of 'The Honeymooners' dies
- Ted Turner hospitalized in South America
- Taylor Swift befriends a Victoria's Secret beauty
- ?Vampire Diaries': Say goodbye to Katherine Pierce by reliving some of her best moments ? VIDEO
- ?Episodes' star Chris Diamantopoulos reveals his first celeb crush, makes you want to listen to Roxette ? VIDEO
- Captain America exhibit opens at Disneyland: On the Scene
- Back On? Justin Bieber and Selena Gomez Spotted Together in Texas
- Meet the Hot Guys of ?Divergent'
- 'Hunger Games' Star Willow Shields Talks 'Mockingjay,' Working with Jennifer Lawrence
- Robin Thicke Steps Out Smiling Without His Wedding Ring in NYC: Picture
- Harry Shum Jr. Is Engaged! Glee Star Proposed to Girlfriend Shelby Rabara in Hawaii
- Jessica Simpson Shares Slim Selfie, Jared Leto Wonders If J. Law's Oscars Falls Are "a Bit of an Act": Top 5 Stories