Grammys Change Best New Artist Eligibility After Lady Gaga Diss
By PopEater Staff Posted Jul 7th 2010 03:01PM
Gaga's stratospheric success and popularity in 2009 were undeniable, but a 2008 Best Dance Recording nomination for her hit single 'Just Dance' prevented her from being nominated at this January's show (the award ended up going to the Zac Brown Band). The Associated Press reports that the Recording Academy made the changes to provide eligibility to previous Grammy nominees who have not released a full-length album and who have not won.
Though its a shame Gaga had to be made an example of in this case, it may be for the best, as taking home the Best New Artist prize at the Grammys has sometimes proven a career killer. For every The Beatles (1965) or Mariah Carey (1991), there a Milli Vanilli (1990), Starland Vocal Band (1977) and Evanescence (2004) that didn't exactly stand the test of time.
Lady Gaga Snaps
Lady Gaga performs at the Boardwalk Hall Arena on July 4, 2010 in Atlantic City. More photos >>
Getty Images North America
- Jennifer Aniston
- Paris Hilton
Kate Middleton is officially a princess. She walked the aisle in an Alexander...
According to Denise, she's not sure that her estranged ex is completely sober....
Popeater Hot Topics
- 'The Bachelorette' recap: Andi says 'Yes!' in dramatic season finale
- Kiefer Sutherland's rep responds to Freddie Prinze Jr.'s complaints about actor
- Anthony Anderson 'Eats America'
- ?The Bachelorette' season finale: And the ?winner' is?
- ?The Hobbit' Comic-Con panel is now online: The top 5 highlights
- I'm Still Not Over? House and Cuddy's terrible relationship
- Nina Dobrev Spotted with Three Hunks at Comic-Con? Is She Dating Any of Them?
- Video Highlights from Comic-Con 2014: ?Expendables 3,' ?Let's Be Cops,' and Daniel Radcliffe!
- Comic-Con 2014: Michael Douglas & Paul Rudd Talk ?Ant-Man' Costume
- Nikki Ferrell Blasts Bachelorette Producers: They "Told Nick to Say That"
- Kendall Jenner, Kylie Jenner Party with Chris Brown, Trey Songz, Cozy up for Picture at House Party
- Bachelorette After the Final Rose Recap: Andi Dorfman's Runner-Up Confronts Her About "Making Love" to Him