Grammys Change Best New Artist Eligibility After Lady Gaga Diss
By PopEater Staff Posted Jul 7th 2010 03:01PM
Gaga's stratospheric success and popularity in 2009 were undeniable, but a 2008 Best Dance Recording nomination for her hit single 'Just Dance' prevented her from being nominated at this January's show (the award ended up going to the Zac Brown Band). The Associated Press reports that the Recording Academy made the changes to provide eligibility to previous Grammy nominees who have not released a full-length album and who have not won.
Though its a shame Gaga had to be made an example of in this case, it may be for the best, as taking home the Best New Artist prize at the Grammys has sometimes proven a career killer. For every The Beatles (1965) or Mariah Carey (1991), there a Milli Vanilli (1990), Starland Vocal Band (1977) and Evanescence (2004) that didn't exactly stand the test of time.
Lady Gaga Snaps
Lady Gaga performs at the Boardwalk Hall Arena on July 4, 2010 in Atlantic City. More photos >>
Getty Images North America
- Jennifer Aniston
- Paris Hilton
Kate Middleton is officially a princess. She walked the aisle in an Alexander...
According to Denise, she's not sure that her estranged ex is completely sober....
Popeater Hot Topics
- Hello Kitty not a cat, expert says
- 'Cops' crew member killed by police officers
- FOX411's pic of the day
- Marvel will reissue all those Dark Horse ?Star Wars' comics that didn't really happen
- Hello Kitty isn't a cat, but is anything really anything anymore, man?
- H. Jon Benjamin makes a crazy Kenny Loggins Kickstarter even crazier
- Extra Scoop: Meet Prince Harry's New GF, Camilla Thurlow!
- Aaron Paul's Wife Lauren Talks Kind Campaign
- Help Send 'Serrano' the Musical to Broadway!
- Angelina Jolie, Brad Pitt Will Shoot "Crazy Sex Scenes" Together in Upcoming Film; 50 Cent Surprises Chelsea Handler During Finale: Top 5 Stories
- Chris O'Dowd Reveals His Wife Dawn is Pregnant, Nominates His Unborn Child in Ice Bucket Challenge Video
- Scott Disick Was Shocked, Speechless After Kourtney Kardashian Revealed She Was Pregnant With Third Child -- Watch the Clip!