Lindsay Lohan Lets Her Fingernail Do the Talking
By PopEater Staff Posted Jul 7th 2010 08:45AM
Just before being sentenced Tuesday to 90 days in jail for violating the terms of her probation, Lindsay Lohan pleaded with the judge, saying, "I'm not taking this as a joke, it's my life and career. I don't want you to think I don't respect you and your terms."
But the perennially troubled star's hand -- actually her fingernail -- told a different story. Written neatly on the middle finger of her left hand was a crass message, one that doesn't exactly show much "respect" for the court or the judge.
Lindsay in Court
Lindsay Lohan reacts to a judges sentence at the Beverly Hills Courthouse on July 6, 2010 in Los Angeles. More Photos >>
Getty Images North America
Lohan may have shown poor judgment in writing such a thing on her nail, but because Revel failed to notice it during the actual hearing, it's highly doubtful she'll get into more trouble for it.
"A finding of contempt of court can be showing disrespect for the judge generally at the time it occurs not after -- or retroactively," attorney, legal expert and author Vikki Ziegler told PopEater. "It would be very difficult to prove that the nail art was intended for the Judge to be disrespectful at the hearing."
Ziegler noted that while it was inappropriate for Lohan to write the expletive on her nail, "I don't believe it rises to level of contempt as legally defined."
The 'Mean Girls' star was calm and collected in the Beverly Hills courtroom until sentencing, but when the judge handed down her decision, it became abundantly clear the actress was unaware how badly her day would end. She even took to Twitter in the early morning to voice her excitement about a sale on Louis Vuitton bags.
Lohan was sentenced to 90 days in jail followed by a 90-day in-patient rehab program for violating probation on a previous DUI case. She must surrender to the court on July 20 at 8:30am to begin serving her time.
Sheriff's spokesperson Steve Whitmore said many female inmates in Lohan's situation only serve about 25% of their sentence -- which means about 23 days for Lohan.
- Jennifer Aniston
- Paris Hilton
Kate Middleton is officially a princess. She walked the aisle in an Alexander...
According to Denise, she's not sure that her estranged ex is completely sober....
Popeater Hot Topics
- 'Django' actress Daniele Watts charged with lewd conduct
- FOX411's pic of the day
- The many faces of Renee Zellweger
- Carmen Electra Says Dennis Rodman Marriage Was "the Worst"
- Sarah Jessica Parker Remembers Oscar de la Renta: "It Was an Enormous Privilege" To Be Dressed By Him
- Kim Kardashian's Birthday: Read Khloe, Kris, and Kendall's Touching Instagram Posts to the Reality Star
- Liar Liar? Kesha Swore Under Oath That Dr. Luke Did Not Assault Her Despite Lawsuit Now Claiming He Did
- Shocking Audio! ?Drunk' Bristol Palin Sobs To Cops While Mom Sarah Slams ?The Bad Guys' In Police Recording Of Wasilla Brawl ? Listen To The Tape!