New Sum 41 Album 'Dark,' but Not a Breakup Record
By Karen Bliss Posted Jul 8th 2010 03:00PM
Bassist and co-founder Jason "Cone" McCaslin tells PopEater that, compared to Sum 41's last album, 2007's 'Underclass Heroes,' the new record will be "definitely more dark, intense and more epic sounding in a way." And contrary to what people might expect, it's not all about the dissolution of frontman Deryck Whibley's marriage to Avril Lavigne.
"There are a few songs that I would say are definitely about a divorce, but for the most part, it's not really a breakup album for him," McCaslin said. "I think he's kind of over it and he's in a good place."
One still-untitled song on the new record, which is expected to see release Aug. 31, features Whibley on vocals and piano and is about a horrific accident the frontman witnessed. "He got out of his car and ran over and the person was lying there dead," McCaslin recounts. "That's the one song that jumped out at me. It's a pretty heavy song."
The band -- Whibley, McCaslin, drummer Steve Jocz and new guitarist Tom Thacker (formerly of Vancouver punk band Gob) -- began recording earlier this year at the landmark circular Capitol Records Tower in Hollywood, before moving into Perfect Sound Studios. "It was a house where the whole band lived and the guest house was a studio," McCaslin says.
With the band on the road and playing in front of fans again for the first time in nearly two years, McCaslin says they'll take their time before previewing some of their new songs.
"We rehearsed them. We'll throw them in here and there, but we're only playing half an hour on the Warped Tour," McCaslin explains. "We probably won't play any for a couple more weeks, maybe when we have our first single out."
- Jennifer Aniston
- Paris Hilton
Kate Middleton is officially a princess. She walked the aisle in an Alexander...
According to Denise, she's not sure that her estranged ex is completely sober....
Popeater Hot Topics
- Break Time: Is Sofia Vergara losing her curves?
- Kim Kardashian criticized for donating just 10 percent of ?charity auction' to typhoon victims
- Gym, Tan, Pokey? ?Jersey Shore' star's grand jury ?Situation'
- Remembering Madiba: Paul Simon, Bill Clinton, P. Diddy, more share thoughts on Nelson Mandela
- Morgan Freeman on Nelson Mandela, plus a tribute to Madiba with the actors who've played him ? VIDEO
- ?Sound of Music': We live blogged it!
- Idris Elba on Playing Mandela: ?Opened Up My Mind to the Power of What We Can Do'
- South African Icon Nelson Mandela Dead at 95, Celebs React
- Extra Scoop: Kate Middleton and Prince William at ?Mandela' Premiere the Day He Dies