New Sum 41 Album 'Dark,' but Not a Breakup Record
By Karen Bliss Posted Jul 8th 2010 03:00PM
Bassist and co-founder Jason "Cone" McCaslin tells PopEater that, compared to Sum 41's last album, 2007's 'Underclass Heroes,' the new record will be "definitely more dark, intense and more epic sounding in a way." And contrary to what people might expect, it's not all about the dissolution of frontman Deryck Whibley's marriage to Avril Lavigne.
"There are a few songs that I would say are definitely about a divorce, but for the most part, it's not really a breakup album for him," McCaslin said. "I think he's kind of over it and he's in a good place."
One still-untitled song on the new record, which is expected to see release Aug. 31, features Whibley on vocals and piano and is about a horrific accident the frontman witnessed. "He got out of his car and ran over and the person was lying there dead," McCaslin recounts. "That's the one song that jumped out at me. It's a pretty heavy song."
The band -- Whibley, McCaslin, drummer Steve Jocz and new guitarist Tom Thacker (formerly of Vancouver punk band Gob) -- began recording earlier this year at the landmark circular Capitol Records Tower in Hollywood, before moving into Perfect Sound Studios. "It was a house where the whole band lived and the guest house was a studio," McCaslin says.
With the band on the road and playing in front of fans again for the first time in nearly two years, McCaslin says they'll take their time before previewing some of their new songs.
"We rehearsed them. We'll throw them in here and there, but we're only playing half an hour on the Warped Tour," McCaslin explains. "We probably won't play any for a couple more weeks, maybe when we have our first single out."
- Jennifer Aniston
- Paris Hilton
Kate Middleton is officially a princess. She walked the aisle in an Alexander...
According to Denise, she's not sure that her estranged ex is completely sober....
Popeater Hot Topics
- 'Real Housewives' star Brandi Glanville reportedly dating 23-year-old
- Nicki Minaj doesn't understand the fuss over 'Anaconda' video
- Country music group Little Big Town put in top-notch effort on new album
- Broadway box office: Michael C. Hall's ?Hedwig' scores, but Carol Burnett can't boost ?Love Letters'
- Hannibal Buress calls Bill Cosby a ?rapist' in stand-up set
- Let's revisit Larry King's 2 a.m. Twitter rampage
- Extra Scoop: Watch Jason Momoa's Super Intense ?GoT' Audition Tape
- ?Fury' Star Shia LaBeouf ?Found God? in a Very Real Way'
- David Letterman's Ex-Cue Card Man Says ?Dave Is the Best Boss in the World'
- Misty Upham's Father Charles Slams Auburn Police: "She Could've Been Alive, We Could've Resuscitated Her"
- Bryan Cranston Responds to Florida Mom's Petition Against Breaking Bad Dolls, Jokes He's Going to Burn His "Florida Mom Action Figure"
- Dakota Johnson, Mom Melanie Griffith Look Like Twins, Have Adorable Mother-Daughter Moment -- See the Picture