NBC Ends Rule Barring Gay Weddings on 'Today'
By PopEater / Wire Services Posted Jul 9th 2010 06:31AM
"We're thrilled that `Today' show's 'Modern Wedding Contest' now recognizes what most fair-minded Americans have already concluded -- a wedding celebrates love and commitment, whether the spouses are straight or gay," said Jarrett Barrios, president of the Gay & Lesbian Alliance Against Defamation.
Viewers plan every aspect of the wedding, from the cake to the clothing styles of attendants. NBC picks four couples from thousands of applicants, and viewers vote on which of those couples will participate.
Same-sex couples have been excluded because New York state law does not allow them to get wedding licenses. But NBC said GLAAD pointed out that a same-sex couple would be able to get a license from another state and still have their ceremony in New York.
NBC said it had listened to voicemails and read e-mails protesting its decision not to allow same-sex marriages. The show considers relations with the gay and lesbian community very important, it said in a statement.
"Moving forward, we ensure that our future wedding contests will be inclusive to all couples," NBC said.
The only time same-sex couples were allowed to apply for the 'Today' wedding was in 2005, when an out-of-state wedding was held, said show spokeswoman Megan Kopf. No gay or lesbian couples were among the finalists, however.
Although 'Today' viewers decide which couple will get married on TV, they choose from among four that 'Today' producers screen and put up for a vote. So there's no guarantee that even if same-sex couples apply for the on-air wedding, viewers will have a chance to select one to participate.
GLAAD said it only learned last week that same-sex couples weren't allowed to apply, and issued a "call to action" for members to complain to NBC. Thousands did, the organization said.
2010 AOL LLC. All Rights Reserved. Copyright 2010 The Associated Press. The information contained in the AP news report may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or otherwise distributed without the prior written authority of The Associated Press. Active hyperlinks have been inserted by AOL.
- Jennifer Aniston
- Paris Hilton
Kate Middleton is officially a princess. She walked the aisle in an Alexander...
According to Denise, she's not sure that her estranged ex is completely sober....
Popeater Hot Topics
- Katy Perry Hasn't Talked to Russell Brand Since He Texted Her to File for Divorce Over Two Years Ago
- Sasheer Zamata Dishes on Meeting Rihanna After Playing Her on Saturday Night Live
- Blake Lively Teases Ryan Reynolds, Calls Him a "Hypocrite": Cute Pics
- Actress Anne Meara, mom of Ben Stiller, dies at 85
- 'Dheepan' wins Palme d'Or, top honor of Cannes Film Festival
- Actress Kelly Rutherford's children must be returned to US, judge says
- Kim Kardashian Plans Kids Trip to Snowy Montana Amid Family Changes, Kylie Jenner Hesitates Going—Get the KUWTK Recap
- Game of Thrones Recap: "The Gift" Finally Gives Fans the Greatest Present Ever
- Morgan Stewart Models in NYC, EJ Johnson Plans Trip to Bahamas, Dorothy Wang's Party Goes Sour—Get the #RichKids Recap!