NBC Ends Rule Barring Gay Weddings on 'Today'
By PopEater / Wire Services Posted Jul 9th 2010 06:31AM
"We're thrilled that `Today' show's 'Modern Wedding Contest' now recognizes what most fair-minded Americans have already concluded -- a wedding celebrates love and commitment, whether the spouses are straight or gay," said Jarrett Barrios, president of the Gay & Lesbian Alliance Against Defamation.
Viewers plan every aspect of the wedding, from the cake to the clothing styles of attendants. NBC picks four couples from thousands of applicants, and viewers vote on which of those couples will participate.
Same-sex couples have been excluded because New York state law does not allow them to get wedding licenses. But NBC said GLAAD pointed out that a same-sex couple would be able to get a license from another state and still have their ceremony in New York.
NBC said it had listened to voicemails and read e-mails protesting its decision not to allow same-sex marriages. The show considers relations with the gay and lesbian community very important, it said in a statement.
"Moving forward, we ensure that our future wedding contests will be inclusive to all couples," NBC said.
The only time same-sex couples were allowed to apply for the 'Today' wedding was in 2005, when an out-of-state wedding was held, said show spokeswoman Megan Kopf. No gay or lesbian couples were among the finalists, however.
Although 'Today' viewers decide which couple will get married on TV, they choose from among four that 'Today' producers screen and put up for a vote. So there's no guarantee that even if same-sex couples apply for the on-air wedding, viewers will have a chance to select one to participate.
GLAAD said it only learned last week that same-sex couples weren't allowed to apply, and issued a "call to action" for members to complain to NBC. Thousands did, the organization said.
2010 AOL LLC. All Rights Reserved. Copyright 2010 The Associated Press. The information contained in the AP news report may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or otherwise distributed without the prior written authority of The Associated Press. Active hyperlinks have been inserted by AOL.
- Jennifer Aniston
- Paris Hilton
Kate Middleton is officially a princess. She walked the aisle in an Alexander...
According to Denise, she's not sure that her estranged ex is completely sober....
Popeater Hot Topics
- Bachelor Juan Pablo's Obscene Comment to Clare Crawley, Celebs React to His Pick: Top Stories
- Jake Gyllenhaal Dances Around Naked, Bangs on Pans on Film Set: See the Bizarre Pictures
- Simon Cowell's Girlfriend Lauren Silverman Shows Off Post-Baby Body in Sheer Top: See the Look!
- Bachel-WHORE? Juan Pablo ‘Banged’ Multiple Women On The Show, Forgot My Son’s Name, Says Ex-Contestant Cassandra
- Break Time: Khloe Kardashian shows Lamar Odom what he's missing
- Mariska Hargitay works to get backlog of rape tests in Detroit processed
- FOX411's pic of the day
- Neil Patrick Harris Talks Gone Girl Sex Scene, Calls Dressing in Drag for Hedwig Role "Intoxicating"
- Bill O'Reilly Slams Beyoncé, Says She "Glorifies" Sex and Is a Bad Role Model for Girls
- Justin Bieber, Miley Cyrus and Lindsay Lohan Among Forbes Most Overexposed Celebs—See Who Else Made the Cut!