NBC Ends Rule Barring Gay Weddings on 'Today'
By PopEater / Wire Services Posted Jul 9th 2010 06:31AM
"We're thrilled that `Today' show's 'Modern Wedding Contest' now recognizes what most fair-minded Americans have already concluded -- a wedding celebrates love and commitment, whether the spouses are straight or gay," said Jarrett Barrios, president of the Gay & Lesbian Alliance Against Defamation.
Viewers plan every aspect of the wedding, from the cake to the clothing styles of attendants. NBC picks four couples from thousands of applicants, and viewers vote on which of those couples will participate.
Same-sex couples have been excluded because New York state law does not allow them to get wedding licenses. But NBC said GLAAD pointed out that a same-sex couple would be able to get a license from another state and still have their ceremony in New York.
NBC said it had listened to voicemails and read e-mails protesting its decision not to allow same-sex marriages. The show considers relations with the gay and lesbian community very important, it said in a statement.
"Moving forward, we ensure that our future wedding contests will be inclusive to all couples," NBC said.
The only time same-sex couples were allowed to apply for the 'Today' wedding was in 2005, when an out-of-state wedding was held, said show spokeswoman Megan Kopf. No gay or lesbian couples were among the finalists, however.
Although 'Today' viewers decide which couple will get married on TV, they choose from among four that 'Today' producers screen and put up for a vote. So there's no guarantee that even if same-sex couples apply for the on-air wedding, viewers will have a chance to select one to participate.
GLAAD said it only learned last week that same-sex couples weren't allowed to apply, and issued a "call to action" for members to complain to NBC. Thousands did, the organization said.
2010 AOL LLC. All Rights Reserved. Copyright 2010 The Associated Press. The information contained in the AP news report may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or otherwise distributed without the prior written authority of The Associated Press. Active hyperlinks have been inserted by AOL.
- Jennifer Aniston
- Paris Hilton
Kate Middleton is officially a princess. She walked the aisle in an Alexander...
According to Denise, she's not sure that her estranged ex is completely sober....
Popeater Hot Topics
- Melissa Rivers Inherits Over $100 Million of Joan Rivers' Estate; Matthew McConaughey Hits Red Carpet With Adorable Kids: Top 5 Stories
- Jennifer Lopez Buys $22 Million New York City Apartment Next Door to Chelsea Clinton: Details
- Bewitched Reboot Scores NBC Deal: New Show Will Follow Samantha's Granddaughter Daphne
- Hank Baskett Caught Wearing Wedding Band While Grocery Shopping ? After Kendra Kicked Him To The Curb
- Jodi Arias Seeking Help From Admirers To Help Raise $250,000 For Appeals ? Has Already Raised $30,000
- FOX411's pic of the day
- Chrissy Teigen criticized for tweets on Ottawa shooting
- In defense of Renee Zellweger's face
- Eddie Redmayne Is a Fashion Hero, Saves Felicity Jones From Major Wardrobe Malfunction
- First Official Avengers: Age of Ultron Trailer Is Here Early After Grainy Version Leaks Online—Watch Now!
- Lady Antebellum Talks Parenthood—Is Charles Kelly Feeling the Pressure to Have Kids? Watch!