Jake and Vienna's Fifteen Minutes Are Up, And It's Their Own Faults
By Jo Piazza Posted Jul 10th 2010 01:00PM
We want to take a moment and write Jake Pavelka and Vienna Girardi a quick memo on fame whoring. In order to be a successful fame whore, the kind of fame whore that can ultimately take that whoring to a new level and turn it into a career (i.e. Kim Kardashian, Paris Hilton, Kate Gosselin, Kendra Wilkinson), you have to find a way to make yourself likable. Because with likability comes brandability and with brandability comes ever more opportunities to gain increasing levels of faux celebrity.
Jake and Vienna have gone about this all wrong with their public feuding and overall nastiness. It's a lesson that Jon and Kate Gosselin learned early in their divorce. The public turns against you when you get too mean.
PopEater's own Naughty But Nice Rob Shuter was even disgusted by the pair (And it takes a lot to disgust Mr. Shuter).
"After that interview their brand is worth less than BP!" Shuter exclaimed when we asked him about the pair. "It was a disaster. They both are done! It's so sad when two people we think we know turn out to be exact opposite! Not since the Britney meltdown have I had to readjust my opinion so much."
Not that there is anything left of a celebrity career for either Jake or Vienna to really salvage, but if the two of them want some kind of future in the public eye, now would be the time for them to shut their traps and find a way to make themselves sympathetic characters.
THey already have a tenuous grasp on celebrity. 'Bachelor' contestants have rarely been able to catapult themselves to the next level of faux fame. And save for Trista and Ryan, whom America loves because they seem nice and normal, most of them have dropped out of the public consciousness pretty quick.
"It took Trista and Ryan some time to achieve their level of fame and that happened because they were an anomaly. I don't think there was a whole lot of value to begin with for Jake and Vienna but what there was has been eroded by their behavior," explains Matt Delzell, a director with the celebrity licensing group at Davie Brown Entertainment, a marketing and branding firm. "To sustain brand value you have to show people you aren't just out for the fame and those two have proved otherwise."
And after their upsetting couch confrontation with Chris Harrison, both Jake and Vienna just seem so unlikable.
"There is an art to being famous for nothing. You MUST be likable, or have a scandal where you are the sympathetic character, or end up working with someone untouchable and beloved or be related to someone we adore (Nicole Richie) – this is why Spencer and Heidi didn't make a dime, why Octomom was shunned and why we adore Melissa Rycroft and Elizabeth Hasselbeck," explains 'Cult of Celebrity' author Cooper Lawrence. "Jake is a fame-seeking attention whore with no likable qualities and Vienna is worse. They aren't getting endorsement deals, book deals or anything that would make them big money because nobody would buy anything from them."
So sadly for these two fame mongers, their fifteen minutes is about to be up. They could have stretched it into at least another 27 had they played their cards right, but at the end of the day, being a jerk isn't going to get you anywhere in Hollywood.
PopScene: Week's Hottest Pics
Meredith Vieira pays tribute to Lady Gaga during her performance at NBC Studios for The Today Show. Vieira sports a pair of sunglasses made of cigarettes, an homage to Gaga's music video for "Telephone."
PopScene: Weeks Hot Pics
- Filed under:
- Celebrity Fights -
- TV News -
- Troublemakers -
- Celebrity Scandal -
- Celebenomics With Jo Piazza
MORE ABOUT Kim Kardashian
Find the latest stories, biography, photos, videos, and more.Read more about Kim Kardashian Li
- Jennifer Aniston
- Paris Hilton
Kate Middleton is officially a princess. She walked the aisle in an Alexander...
According to Denise, she's not sure that her estranged ex is completely sober....
Popeater Hot Topics
- Catherine Zeta-Jones and Michael Douglas Walk First Red Carpet Together Since Separating in August 2013
- Prince William Remembers Princess Diana in Australia as His Son George Channels His Baby Romper Look
- Tori Spelling Opens Up About Dean McDermott's Cheating Confession in First Post-Scandal Interview
- Lock ?Em Up! Joe Giudice's Former Business Partner Says ?A Few Years In Jail Is Not Enough' For ?RHONJ’ Star & Wife Teresa
- Sugar & Spice! Ashton Kutcher & Mila Kunis Are Expecting A Baby Girl
- Brian Johnson: Reports of AC/DC's death greatly exaggerated
- Co-eds doing porn to pay for school: Is Belle Knox a bellwether?
- Then/ now: Our favorite 'Partridge Family' stars
- Tori Spelling Breaks Silence on Dean McDermott's Affair: "He Was My Soul Mate, But He Completely Broke My Heart"
- It's a View Reunion! All 11 Hosts Will Unite for Barbara Walters' Last Week
- Georgia May Jagger Pays Tribute to L'Wren Scott; Rolling Stones Announce Rescheduled Tour Dates for Down Under